Re-ripping to higher quality

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cahinton

Re-ripping to higher quality

Post by cahinton »

I have a fairly large collection (~8200 tracks) that was ripped several years ago to VBR192 mp3s to save disc space. Now that drive space is cheaper, I bought a huge drive and have been re-ripping selected discs to FLAC and using the MM sync-settings to downcode them when they are synced to my mp3 player.

Is there a way to replace the existing tracks and keep the corresponding database entries (playcounts, ratings, etc)?
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

There is no 'easy' way, however you can use Bex's advanced duplicate finder script to replace lower quality files and migrate metadata etc to the new ones.
cahinton

Post by cahinton »

Yup -- I found that about two minutes after posting the question.

Note to self: Search, then post. :-?
MCSmarties

Post by MCSmarties »

Use Maaspuck's amazing CopyTags script to transfer all existing tags to your new files!
nojac

Post by nojac »

But are you really able to hear the difference between mp3 192 VBR and FLAC?

And when you have to downcode on sync, I would suspect there is little to gain.

OK, off topic :)
cahinton

Post by cahinton »

Not when I was only listening to them on headphones or computer speakers. I also recently purchased a wireless media player and hooked it up to my home-theater. That's where I hear the difference.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

My Duplicate Report script can not only find all the files for which there are multiple versions (based on Title/Artist/Album) and select the highest bitrate as the one to keep, but also has a merge feature for copying all tags (including play history and playlist entries) from the old track to the new track. :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
cahinton

Post by cahinton »

So close -- it works and lists the duplicates, but I get an SQL error when I press "Flag Dupes".

Error: Starting a transaction while some query is open.
yada\yada\DuplicateReport.vbs, Line 733, Column 10

I am using MM3 and didn't really expect this to work as you have it marked as "Needing Upgrade". Any ETA on MM3?
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

It's on my list of scripts to upgrade for MM3, but still waiting for more details on what the scripting changes are for MM3. Still not sure how multiple artists are going to be handled yet.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
cahinton

Post by cahinton »

Are there scripting changes for MM3, or just database schema changes? VB script is VB script, unless they are adding some sort of API layer.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

There is a COM object which is used to access the database, we have no indication of what changes will be made to this. At the moment it does not handle multiple artists at all.