Portable Mediamonkey don't work so good ??

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Portable Mediamonkey don't work so good ??

Post by newbie »

Hi everyone there !
I made a clean (at least I hope so) install of MM Gold on my USB 300GB disk so I can go every where with all my database etc..

300GB_USB_DRIVE_ROOT (Drive's letter changes)
. . .MUSIC
. . . . . |MediaMonkey (<= installation)
. . . . . |Muzik (<= songs directory)

in .ini I made all my path relative to my directory structure
for example
WinampPath=..\MUSIC\Winamp\WinAmp.exe
TempDir=..\Temp\
CacheDir=.\VirtualCD\
PreviewDir=.\Previews\

I manage to point him to use relative path as on my home computer the usb drive is T:\ on my laptop it is F: and at work it is W:
BUT when MM is started and is indexing the library he come back with some drive letter and I have thousands of duplicates like this :
the song JustASong will be twice :

one time ..\muzik\Rock\JustAnArtist\JustASong.mp3
and then W:\MUSIC\muzik\Rock\JustAnArtist\JustASong.mp3

What can I do to make this clean ??

It seems to me it is because AutoScan sectionof mediamonkey.ini is re-writed each time...

[AutoScan]
autoRemoveDeadLinks=0
autoRemoveArtists=1
autoRemoveAlbums=1
FolderCount=1
Path1= W:\MUSIC\muzik\
Subfolders1=1
ScanOnStart1=1

I lost something in the FAQ ?
How to make sure on indexing MM uses relative path ..\Directory and not absolute one X:\Directory ? Or is it considered as a "new" feature request ? Such a ultimate soft as MM should really be able to do that,
it's frustrating to be so close to perfection ;-(

every piece of advice is welcomed !
Thanks
Thixo

Re: Portable Mediamonkey don't work so good ??

Post by Thixo »

I have the same question !
(Up)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Wait for MediaMonkey 4, or test it in the Beta forum, as it includes a portable installer.
paddymcq

Post by paddymcq »

In MM 4.1, setting a relative path for AutoScan is seemingly still not possible. As Newbie stated here initially, the USB drive letter varies depending on which computer I plug the device into yet the AutoScan drive letter is hard-coded into the settings. My USB fob, which contains both the MM installation and the music files, fails to AutoScan when plugged into a computer that has assigned a different drive letter to the USB device. With MM closed, I edited MediaMonkey.ini file, changing the AutoScan setting from File1=f:\music\ to File1=\music\ but MM just ignores the scan. Tried File1=..\music\ and other variations without success. In fact, editing this setting in the .ini file disables the "Scan at startup" and "Scan continuously" settings when I re-launch MM. Is there a work-around or an enhancement request for relative paths? A portable installation should be completely portable.

Thanks.