Spyware found in download of MM3

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

SDJeff

Spyware found in download of MM3

Post by SDJeff »

I downloaded the new version of MM3 for this site and during the installation my Pest Patrol warned me of "RegistryCleanFix2008" trying to be installed along with the program. I blocked the install of RCF2008 and MM3 would not complete its installation. I finally allowed the install of RCF2008 so MM3 would install and did a quick scan for pests.

What's up with this?
Lowlander

Re: Spyware found in download of MM3

Post by Lowlander »

Did you download MediaMonkey from the MediaMonkey website itself? If so it's probably a false positive and you could contact your Pest Patrol to inform them about this. If you downloaded MediaMonkey from an alternative site it might have been a modified installer for MediaMonkey. This alternative site could have added the spyware to the installer.

Where did you download MediaMonkey?
SDJeff

Post by SDJeff »

I downloaded it from this site (www.mediamonkey.com). The file name Mediamonkey_3.0.3.1183.exe. Maybe a false posisitve? PP flagged the Media Monkey temp install file. Just want to be sure. RegistryCleanFix2008 opens up your computer to the MonaRonaDona virus, google search it if necessary.

I've been using MM3 since earlier this year, love it, and never had a problem before.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

its possible that you had to go through a infected server some place to get to mediamonkey's server,
that might have jumped in with your download, run your av program, and get rid of any thing that might be harmful. like that program.

i hope it was just a false alert.? :(

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

I tested this out with the latest pestpatrol (CA Anti-spyware) and could not replicate your findings.

Moreover, I also tested with Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Virus, and eSet NOD32, and none could find a threat.

-Rusty
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

rusty wrote:Hi,

I tested this out with the latest pestpatrol (CA Anti-spyware) and could not replicate your findings.

Moreover, I also tested with Spybot Search and Destroy, AVG Anti-Virus, and eSet NOD32, and none could find a threat.

-Rusty
Now that is VERY reassurring. Thanks Rusty. :D

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
SDJeff

Post by SDJeff »

Thanks Rusty, it must be the version of Pest Patrol (ver 8 ) that I'm running. Here at work a few of us that use MM3 all have the same version of PP and was flagged on each of the computers when updating.

Sorry for the scare! Carry on...
Peke

Post by Peke »

Just to ensure this issue i have extended our tests to few more applications. Results are that I came with same conclusion as Rusty, but with PC-Cilin, Zone Alarms Internet Security, BitDeffender, Prevx and Uniblue SpyEraser.
There was few cases when MM setup is reported as Spyware and that was only when MediaMonkey setup tried to gain access to windows explorer shell to register MediaMonkey MicroPlayer (Task bar player) as Taskbar -> Toolbar Option. Note that this action is only available if Setup has Administrator privileges.

Solution was to wait few hours (on some more) so that A/V applications updates their trusted libraries and include MediaMonkey in them after which Setup is no longer flagged as spyware.

If someone is still wondering that Mm is spyware note site that hosted our setup and A/V Support to update their Spyware Databases. Additionally if they also find that it is possible threat feel free to contact us directly and provide Download link where we can test it personally.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts