Using MM as a player for my home stereo system

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

MMan

Using MM as a player for my home stereo system

Post by MMan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:02 pm

I am a hugh fan of MM! I used it to rip and tag my 800+CD collection as FLAC files. They are now on my network drive and accessable (and usable, thanks to MM's organization) to all the computers in my house. Additionally, I have been using MM to Sync to all of my Family's ipods. The last piece missing was a high fidelity way to us MM as the player to feed my high end home stereo.

Alas, I discovered a solution that sounds fantastic! After searching this forum, I saw a post suggesting a M-Audio Pci card. After searching other audio forums for info on the M-Audio card, I disovered some reviews on the ESI Juli@ PCI card. All the reviews were very positive. The card has the option to use 1/4 or RCA outputs as well as SPDIF or coxial digital. Originally, I was going to use it to pass MM's output to my Stereo digitally. Then after some discussions on the ESI forum and other audio sites it was clear that the DAC on the Juli@ was probably far supeior to the DAC in my high end Marantz AV Receiver.

I ended up purchasing the Juli@ for $130 and installed in my Vista machine in under 20 minutes (Just make sure to get the most recent driver from the ESI site before installing). I used the MM ASIO plug-in to send the MM output to that card and thus my stereo. (One note, my on-board audio card is still my default card for everything else and that works without conflict.) Once this was set up, I experimented with using both the RCA analog connection to my stereo and the SPDIF digital connection. As suggested to me, I preferred the analog output from the Juli@ DAC. Now with the Juli@, my Flac files sound better than the CDs played directly on my stero.

My world is complete, I have all the power of the monkey and great sound through my home stereo. If anyone is looking for a way to us MM as a player in a high fidelity way, the ESI Julia@ is a great option. I am not scratching the surface on the other powers of the semi-pro Juli@ card, but the $130 was well worth the price to have great sound and all the power and flexibility of MM as a player.

Thanks to all the developers that continue to improve upon what is already an awsome product! :D

Eyal

Re: Using MM as a player for my home stereo system

Post by Eyal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:39 pm

Thanks MMan for sharing your setup with us.
You may like this thread: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=18402
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].

MMan

Re: Using MM as a player for my home stereo system

Post by MMan » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:03 pm

Never found that one during my search. Fun thread! :lol: