Just started using MM... need help with some frustrations

Get answers about using the current release of MediaMonkey for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Affini
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Just started using MM... need help with some frustrations

Post by Affini » Sun Apr 24, 2005 3:27 pm

Please forgive me as this is my first time using the app so I may be missing things here... or finding some "usability" issues.

1) The auto-tag feature is pretty nice until you try something like "Train". .. the drop down list 'rebuilds' FOREVER!
- I wanted to tag the album "Train - Train (1998)" which does get populated into the list... but it rebuilds so quickly I cannot choose it.

PLUS... if you try it in the listbox.. even though it does an autocomplete the text for you (recognizing that it found the album), once selected MM does not populate the screen/window with the album info?
I have tried <enter>, <tab>, cursing, and hitting the KB ;)


2) When I create a new folder (in the left side tree) MM automatically puts me into that folder... why?
Just becasue I want to create it does not mean I want to enter an EMPTY folder? This is simply wrong from an ease-of-use perspective.


3) When are more tag items going to be supported (using FreeDB, CDDB, Walmart, etc)? I want to auto-tag my music to make the Genre consistant also... but with MM this seems impossible... is it?

4) If I double-click a song it MM erases the current play list and adds the entire album that the solg I click is in to the play list... HUH???
I double-clicked the SONG, not the ALBUM. This is REALLY a pain.

5) When using "Send to Playlist" it will not send an entire folder structure (all songs in folder and subfolders). Why not? It gives me the option? I've like to add all Van Morrison, and not need to add each album separately.


I've only used it for 2 hours so I'm sure I'll find more.

Let me say that I've used a few other apps like Tag&Rename and TheGodfather and while each has strengths/weaknesses MM looks nice and seems to have some real promise and a few
thanks for the help.

pah68
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Just started using MM... need help with some frustration

Post by pah68 » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Affini wrote:Please forgive me as this is my first time using the app so I may be missing things here... or finding some "usability" issues.

1) The auto-tag feature is pretty nice until you try something like "Train". .. the drop down list 'rebuilds' FOREVER!
- I wanted to tag the album "Train - Train (1998)" which does get populated into the list... but it rebuilds so quickly I cannot choose it.

PLUS... if you try it in the listbox.. even though it does an autocomplete the text for you (recognizing that it found the album), once selected MM does not populate the screen/window with the album info?
I have tried <enter>, <tab>, cursing, and hitting the KB ;)


2) When I create a new folder (in the left side tree) MM automatically puts me into that folder... why?
Just becasue I want to create it does not mean I want to enter an EMPTY folder? This is simply wrong from an ease-of-use perspective.


3) When are more tag items going to be supported (using FreeDB, CDDB, Walmart, etc)? I want to auto-tag my music to make the Genre consistant also... but with MM this seems impossible... is it?

4) If I double-click a song it MM erases the current play list and adds the entire album that the solg I click is in to the play list... HUH???
I double-clicked the SONG, not the ALBUM. This is REALLY a pain.

5) When using "Send to Playlist" it will not send an entire folder structure (all songs in folder and subfolders). Why not? It gives me the option? I've like to add all Van Morrison, and not need to add each album separately.


I've only used it for 2 hours so I'm sure I'll find more.

Let me say that I've used a few other apps like Tag&Rename and TheGodfather and while each has strengths/weaknesses MM looks nice and seems to have some real promise and a few
thanks for the help.
1) I don't understand what you are trying to do.

2) 'spose :-?

3) Autotagging uses Amazon. FreeDB is used for original CD's.

4) This can be changed in options to Enqueue the track rather than play it immediately.

5) It'll send all tracks highlighted on the screen to the chosen playlist. If your directory structure is <Artist>\<Album> simply choose all (below Van Morrison) and you'll get all his albums.

Zebulon
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:35 am
Location: Norway

Re: Just started using MM... need help with some frustration

Post by Zebulon » Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:25 pm

Affini wrote:4) If I double-click a song it MM erases the current play list and adds the entire album that the solg I click is in to the play list... HUH???
I double-clicked the SONG, not the ALBUM. This is REALLY a pain.
Hey. Welcome to the fabulous world of MM :D

To have MM play only the song you double-klick you have to go to Tools-->Options-->Player. Change the double-click action to your needs.
You can also right-click songs and choose Play Now, Play Next or Play Last


Zebulon

Affini
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Re: Just started using MM... need help with some frustration

Post by Affini » Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:57 am

pah68 wrote:
Affini wrote:Please forgive me as this is my first time using the app so I may be missing things here... or finding some "usability" issues.

1) The auto-tag feature is pretty nice until you try something like "Train". .. the drop down list 'rebuilds' FOREVER!
- I wanted to tag the album "Train - Train (1998)" which does get populated into the list... but it rebuilds so quickly I cannot choose it.

PLUS... if you try it in the listbox.. even though it does an autocomplete the text for you (recognizing that it found the album), once selected MM does not populate the screen/window with the album info?
I have tried <enter>, <tab>, cursing, and hitting the KB ;)


2) When I create a new folder (in the left side tree) MM automatically puts me into that folder... why?
Just becasue I want to create it does not mean I want to enter an EMPTY folder? This is simply wrong from an ease-of-use perspective.


3) When are more tag items going to be supported (using FreeDB, CDDB, Walmart, etc)? I want to auto-tag my music to make the Genre consistant also... but with MM this seems impossible... is it?

4) If I double-click a song it MM erases the current play list and adds the entire album that the solg I click is in to the play list... HUH???
I double-clicked the SONG, not the ALBUM. This is REALLY a pain.

5) When using "Send to Playlist" it will not send an entire folder structure (all songs in folder and subfolders). Why not? It gives me the option? I've like to add all Van Morrison, and not need to add each album separately.


I've only used it for 2 hours so I'm sure I'll find more.

Let me say that I've used a few other apps like Tag&Rename and TheGodfather and while each has strengths/weaknesses MM looks nice and seems to have some real promise and a few
thanks for the help.
1) I don't understand what you are trying to do.

2) 'spose :-?

3) Autotagging uses Amazon. FreeDB is used for original CD's.

4) This can be changed in options to Enqueue the track rather than play it immediately.

5) It'll send all tracks highlighted on the screen to the chosen playlist. If your directory structure is <Artist>\<Album> simply choose all (below Van Morrison) and you'll get all his albums.
1) I'm trying to get the thing to work properly... I'm not sure how else to explain it. Try it for yourself using the search "Train"... then you'll see.

4) cool, thanks

5) I see what you mean. thanks

pah68
Posts: 1496
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2004 5:26 pm
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: Just started using MM... need help with some frustration

Post by pah68 » Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:54 am

Affini wrote:1) I'm trying to get the thing to work properly... I'm not sure how else to explain it. Try it for yourself using the search "Train"... then you'll see.
Ahh, I see. Unfortunately it might be one of those difficult ones that you may need to do manually. :-? (Right click track > Get Info / Buy > )

I have seen a similar problem when searching for the artist Live :wink:

Although it's not listed in MM a good website for tag info is http://www.allmusic.com

Affini
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Post by Affini » Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:46 am

Well, if I'm going to pay for MM it needs to work right in that area first. I mainly would use it for tagging and naming.

I'd like to hear from the developer(s) on this one particularly. It always concerns me when they are silent about something like this.

So I await to hear from them also... :D

Affini
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:44 pm

Post by Affini » Tue May 03, 2005 10:37 pm

It has been a while since I have posted and I have yet to receive a response from a developer...

Am I to assume that the issues are not going to be fixed?

JaroU
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 8:06 pm
Location: Poland
Contact:

Re: Just started using MM... need help with some frustration

Post by JaroU » Sun May 22, 2005 11:53 am

Affini wrote:Please forgive me as this is my first time using the app so I may be missing things here... or finding some "usability" issues.

1) The auto-tag feature is pretty nice until you try something like "Train". .. the drop down list 'rebuilds' FOREVER!
- I wanted to tag the album "Train - Train (1998)" which does get populated into the list... but it rebuilds so quickly I cannot choose it.
...
Yes it's very frustratious, I dont use this option very often, but it is it is very useful, and this bug can be fixed, I thing. e.g. button in search window which stop searching process in any time.

I have another problem too, why when I klick context search option tags from amazon, in search window appear only part of muli-part Artist name? so number of rezults increasing

mockturtle
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:49 pm

Post by mockturtle » Sun May 22, 2005 1:31 pm

I can understand that the results aren't 100% perfect in all cases, but it's because we try to return acceptable results in most of the cases. Amazon interface isn't supposed for track tagging but rather to be an entry point to their shop. We try to deliver it to our users anyway...

We hope to improve Amazon tagging and add other tagging options in future versions.

Jiri

Post Reply