Re Ripping CDs keeping original tags

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jaybea179943

Re Ripping CDs keeping original tags

Post by jaybea179943 »

Back in the days before I knew any better, I ripped a lot of CDs using Windows Media Player in WMA protected.

Now that I have a phone that does not support WMA protected, only half of the tracks I want can be played on the device. If I set MM to covert the tracks to MP3, I find that I cannot due to DRM restrictions.

I don't mind re-ripping everthing, but doing this means that I will also loose the existing tags and ratings. So my question is whether there is a way of re-ripping that preserves the existing data on the tracks?

J
nohitter151

Re: Re Ripping CDs keeping original tags

Post by nohitter151 »

You can use this add-on to "copy" and "paste" metadata from a set of tracks to another:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... +duplicate

Just make sure the lists of tracks are in the same order.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
jaybea179943

Re: Re Ripping CDs keeping original tags

Post by jaybea179943 »

Thank you. I have been testing out the process with Advanced Duplicate Find and Fix and it works very well. One of the problems I have encountered is the different tagging of the same album by WMP (using Gracenote) and MM (using FreeDB), which sometimes requires a little manual adjustment.

Although it is still going to be a chore re-ripping 100+ albums, at least I will not have to create all the ratings and playlists and put all the album art back.