Windows 7 Ultimate / Kanji tags not displaying

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Philosfr

Windows 7 Ultimate / Kanji tags not displaying

Post by Philosfr »

Should be an easy one, but I'm baffled. Using MM 3.2.0 on a US install of Windows 7 Ultimate. I tagged a bunch of files using MM 3.2.0 on Windows XP with Japanese Kanji characters. Now when I view them on my Windows 7 Ultimate system, I do not have the Kanji, just the "no-kanji-support-boxes".

I've verified that I have kanji support in Windows and can see the filenames and folders just fine. Verified that I can use the IME to input Kanji in Wordpad. The IME acts like it is working in MediaMonkey too, but instead of hiragana all I get is the same "no-kanji-support-boxes"

What am I missing? I didn't run into this on the Windows XP box, so is it something I need to change on my Windows 7 box, or is it a behavior difference between the two OS's?

Re: Windows 7 Ultimate / Kanji tags not displaying

Post by Guest »

If it matters, I discovered Cyrillic characters work just fine in, but still no luck on the Kanji/Katakana/Hiragana
leomeloxp

Post by leomeloxp »

Same problem in here, but there's a small difference. I was using a Windows Seven Home Premium in Brazilian Portuguese and it was working great on MediaMonkey but then I reinstalled Seven in English and now I got this problem, all Kanjis are shown as those boxes, and it seems to be only on MediaMonkey.

I've tried changing my system locale to Japanese, it works when I do that, but it is said that it will crash some other english programs and it also change some stuff on the OS.

If everyone finds a solution I'll be grateful, I'll post here if I find anything =]

Thanks o/
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

[An old thread but similar problem]
I have just had this happened to me and after panicking thought I'd try the forums. MediaMonkey used to display kanji characters but now my (mostly Japanese) library is populated with squares. When I play a track it does appear on my Last.fm profile properly with my correct tags.

When I look at the file in Windows Explorer in 'Details view' the kanji characters appears correctly. However, when I right click and select 'properties' and navigate to the 'Details' pane, it replaces what should be kanji characters with squares.

The only change made to my computer recently was installing Service Pack 1 for Windows 7.

P.S. the kanji characters display as expected in the Zune Media Player but not in Spotify.

If there is any information I can provide that can help solve this issue I will do so.

If there is a solution to this I would be very grateful. It's hard finding a favourite track when every track looks the same lol
Shiny Rabbit

Post by Shiny Rabbit »

How did you transfer your tracks between PCs? I store all my music on an external HDD, I plugged that into my shiny new Windows 7 Enterprise x64 machine, told MediaMonkey that's where my music is stored and had no problems (english version)

Windows 7 Enterprise x64. MediaMonkey 4 (unless I forget to update this)
Luffy

Post by Luffy »

The music is stored on an internal drive separate from the OS drive. Good news though, after a few computer restarts the kanji characters returned as normal. It's strange why they stopped showing in the first place but I'm happy it's back to normal :D .