Auto-dj

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

plinth

Auto-dj

Post by plinth »

I would just like to have some control over the Auto DJ function.

I used to (in other products that have now died) be able to select genre, or seed it with bands a-la Pandora (although with less awesome results - <3 Pandora). MM's dj seems to insist on taking my entire catalog, which spans opera to rap, and randomize it. Oddly, this does not make for steady listening. (I find the gangster-rap to Enya shift the hardest :P)

On doing some digging, it would seem the work around for this lack is to manually create massive playlists of genres and use them... which then negates the entire purpose of having a Auto-DJ function in the first place! (load playlist - have shuffle on)

So my question is - am I missing something, or is it just not a function that MM has time to spend developer dollars on? I do understand that I am in the minority - 300GB of mp3s, wide range of musical genres; but I'm hoping I just haven't taken the proper time to research it. I'd also find it a bit daft to have to run a competitors product anytime I want to randomize my listening experience. (ZenPoint, Ultimate Jukebox, MusicMatch, etc..)

T.I.A.
paulmt

Re: Auto-dj

Post by paulmt »

I use Auto DJ with Playlists and don't find this a problem or negating the purpose of Auto DJ.
My collection is also star rated so my playlists includes the tempo and genre as well as required star ratings.
This works perfectly for me. I actually enjoy the merging of differing genres. With a large library it seems to work.

Friends have asked me why I am addicted to having so much music in my collection and I always say "it's not the size of the collection
that count's it's the depth of the shuffle"

**Edited**
Just to add because I realised I didn't say, but I setup Auto Playlists. By doing this your not having to laboriously add tracks one by one, they are automatically selected to a wide variety of criteria.
To do this right click on "playlists and select "New Auto Playlist" I think with this you can achieve what you want.
MediaMonkey 3.2.4.1304 Gold Lifetime
Hardware: Intel Core 2 Quad 3.33GHz, 8Gb Ram, 2tB Internal Storage, 2tB External Storage (USB & eSATA)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate x64, FireFox v3.6.x, ThunderBird v3 x64, MailWasher Pro v6.5, Kaspersky Internet Security 2010
Backups by Karens Replicator v3.5.12,
plinth

Re: Auto-dj

Post by plinth »

Auto-Playlist! Never saw it! Looks like what I want.

Hooray! I just had missed a feature! Thank you so much paulmt, I really like MM and this was driving me nuts! :D

Thanks again!