Media Keys Not working For MediaMonkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

eMage

Media Keys Not working For MediaMonkey

Post by eMage »

Problem: media keys not working with media monkey, they dont work until i open WMP in background

Info about my pc:
I am using Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and also have Sidewinder X6 keyboard having media keys. keyboard driver - intellitype pro 7.1
Having mediamonkey 3.2.0.1294 n media player 12
media monkey is default media software n global media keys are enabled.

Symptoms:
1) when both of media player are not open, i press play key - mediamonkey opens.
2) when only mediamonkey is open, i press play key - mediamonkey start blinking in task bar as i have opened it again.
3) i open WMP, press open nothing happens.... then i click play/pause on screen after that media keys start working properly.... then i minimize WMP and open mediamonkey media keys works properly for mediamonkey.... then i close WMP n media keys stop working for mediamonkey also.

by media keys i mean play/pause, next and previous. volume knob and mute works all the time.

plz help me finding solution.
Peke

Re: Media Keys Not working For MediaMonkey

Post by Peke »

Edit MediaMonkey.ini and add PreferLLKeysHook=1 line to [System] section
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
eMage

Post by eMage »

Peke wrote:Edit MediaMonkey.ini and add PreferLLKeysHook=1 line to [System] section

tried still not working..
Peke

Post by Peke »

I do not see the reason why it should not work unless windows itself (or Driver) is blocking MM for intercepting key press.

Before you added PreferLLKeysHook=1 to MediaMonkey.ini have you tried to reassign keys directly in Tools -> options -> Hotkeys?
Best regards,
Peke
Bigshow-21

Post by Bigshow-21 »

Hi there,

I am having the same problem and have tried adding PreferLLKeysHook=1 to MediaMonkey.ini and tried reassigning keys in the Hotkeys section but to no avail.
Currently using MS Intellitype Pro 7.1 installed and would prefer not to uninstall otherwise I lose functionality to the other hotkeys. The play/pause, next, stop don't work on my MS Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0.

When I try and set the Hotkeys it was setting the multimedia keys the same "HID Key(ID 145)" when I pressed the play/pause keyboard key. It would map this same HID key number to the next or stop button which MM would inform is mapped onto another key.

Any help/solution would be appreciated!
D
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Bigshow-21 wrote:Hi there,

I am having the same problem and have tried adding PreferLLKeysHook=1 to MediaMonkey.ini and tried reassigning keys in the Hotkeys section but to no avail.
Currently using MS Intellitype Pro 7.1 installed and would prefer not to uninstall otherwise I lose functionality to the other hotkeys. The play/pause, next, stop don't work on my MS Wireless Keyboard 3000 v2.0.

When I try and set the Hotkeys it was setting the multimedia keys the same "HID Key(ID 145)" when I pressed the play/pause keyboard key. It would map this same HID key number to the next or stop button which MM would inform is mapped onto another key.

Any help/solution would be appreciated!
D
Maybe you've changed the actual button's function in the MS software? It should be mapped as "Play/pause media, skip to next track, etc." I have the MS wireless keyboard 4000 and I don't observe any problems with the default settings in both the keyboard and w/ mm.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nate456789

Post by nate456789 »

I have an MS 6000 V2 Keyboard - My keys only work when the media monkey in full window mode. Micro mode when it is on the toolbar will not accept The media keys.
Is there something else I need to set or map to get these to work?
Thanks
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

Try downgrading to driver 7.0 (instead of 7.1) that sometimes fixes the issue for me. It is a bit tempremental (i.e. it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't!)
abhiroopb

Post by abhiroopb »

I have also figured out why it is "temperamental". Play/Pause, etc. seems to work when MediaMonkey has focus and also when certain windows have focus. So, when I am using Chrome or Word it works, but when I use a random application like CCleaner it does not work. Very strange behaviour and no idea why it is like that!
Jamaal

Post by Jamaal »

I am also having this same problem. It is very annoying for the media keys to only work with MM or chrome etc. focused. A lot of the time I'm just on my desktop or in a folder and my media keys dont do squat. I'm using a Dell USB Multimedia Keyboard. I never had this problem when using winamp/itunes/WMP (all of which I have uninstalled to try and fix this issue).

An answer to this problem would be MUCH appreciated!!!
Peke

Post by Peke »

Are you sure that PreferLLKeysHook=1 do not help and/or reassigning Media keys in MM?
Best regards,
Peke
Jamaal

Post by Jamaal »

Peke wrote:Are you sure that PreferLLKeysHook=1 do not help and/or reassigning Media keys in MM?
Tried both already with no luck. Assigning other global keys, such as numpad, works fine. Its only the media keys on my keyboard as well as my usb remote (so I know it's MM and not just my keyboard)
Peke

Post by Peke »

Problem is that I have 5 media keyboards and 3 Different Remote controls that I tested MM with to see if there is regression in MM after implementing Shortcut engine and have not been able to replicate your issue. I wonder have you tried to use Keyboard without drivers (whatever windows installed by default) which I guess rendered keyboard as standard keyboard and or HID input device (USB)?

As you are not registered on Forum I can't send you small test app that will allow you to see/track all keys exactly like MM detect them?
Best regards,
Peke
Jamaal

Post by Jamaal »

I just registered. As for the drivers, I just had windows 7 automatically install them. My keyboard doesn't have any drivers available online nor a CD, not sure about my remote. Windows rendered both my keyboard and my usb remote as two different HID keyboard device.

Here is my keyboard:
http://reviews.dell.com/2341/310-7940/reviews.htm

and my remote:
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Control-I ... 751&sr=8-3

Thanks
Drewbie

Post by Drewbie »

just for anyone's reference
the low level keys hook for multimedia keyboards should be in the OPTIONS part , not the SYSTEM section of the .ini file

THIS SHOULD ALSO FIX REMOTE ISSUES

fix yer multimedia keyboard or remote without fuss ...
1. close mediamonkey
2. go to >>>appdata\local\MediaMonkey\
3. open the MediaMonkey.ini file in notepad
4. add the following line to the [OPTIONS] section (make it the first line like this ....)

[Options]
PreferLLKeysHook=1

5. Save the file and close it
6. make new text file in this location, name it LLKeysHook.txt
7. paste and save the two lines so that you know what the line is and where it goes for the next time yer cat
hits the power button on your computer while your listening to music and your .ini file gets reset. BAD KITTY!!!! gggrrrrr :evil:
(This way if and when your .ini file gets reset you won't have to search these forums looking for this stupid line)

[Options]
PreferLLKeysHook=1

MEDIA MONKEY DEVELOPERS PLEASE START INCLUDING THIS COMMAND BY DEFAULT IN FUTURE RELEASES .....
THESE DAYS EVERYONE THAT USES THIS PROGRAM HAS A REMOTE AND OR MULTIMEDIA KEYBOARDS THAT ALMOST NEVER
WORK BY DEFAULT. I MEAN IT'S ONE LINE AND IT COULD SAVE THOUSANDS OF HEADACHES , WHAT GIVES????? :-?
the world is yourz. Keep up wit da scorz I have time for discourse if u really need help I might could figure it out fo shorez ....latz