Tagging not remembered across sessions

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

kookykrazee

Tagging not remembered across sessions

Post by kookykrazee »

Okay, I am going to renew this topic as it does not seem to have a resolution, yet.

I will state, first of all, I know that MediaMonkey is made for playing audio files. I understand that, at this time, it is not meant for playing video files.

But, having trudged through a few hundred posts and replies and posted a few of mine, over the past 6-18 months, I still see I haven't found a solution that works.

I want to organize/sort my audio and video files, 90% of which are concerts and shows that I have captured via VHS, DVD, camcorder, etc. They are avi, mkv, ts, vob, etc. I have added the information to see the files in my list. This works as it should. I have added the extensions that were not in MM3 or MM2, by default. Again, this works as it should. I have the Video node, to easily see all the video. This works, as it should.

The issue come when I change the tagging for some videos. I know that videos are not tagged the same way audio files are. This is fine, but for some reason when I change the information that is stored in the MM database it disappears, when I do one of two things; first, close MM and reopen it; second, when I do a manual rescan for files. I have tried checking and unchecking infer track properties, with no changes.

I have tried to rebuild my library from scratch multiple times, which takes a day or so to do, when left to it's vices..lol. I just want it to keep the file name information, in the MM database like it used to.

Any idea why this is the case? I know that, one of my posts I started, last summer, I said some files were not quite finished, but I have taken those folders completely out of the equation, so that is not the issue. Some of these files have been fully named and showed as such, in previous versions of MM3, but I could not tell you which version it actually worked in.

Thanks for any assistance you can give with this rather annoying occurrence.
nohitter151

Re: Tagging not remembered across sessions

Post by nohitter151 »

MM will not "tag" video files at all. If MM doesn't support the filetype natively, then it will not tag that format at all. The metadata you enter will only be saved across sessions as long as these video files are actually added to the database, and even then only if you tag them via the Library node.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

Thanks for the reply. I understand they don't physically tag the media files. In previous versions the MM3 database kept the naming information in MM, across sessions. I have always added the video files to the database and via the Library node. So, please tell me why the information is not remembered across sessions?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

kookykrazee wrote:Thanks for the reply. I understand they don't physically tag the media files. In previous versions the MM3 database kept the naming information in MM, across sessions. I have always added the video files to the database and via the Library node. So, please tell me why the information is not remembered across sessions?
If it doesn't then there is some bug. You're sure you're not tagging the files via the "My computer node"?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

I am sure. I tried all different methods and ultimately do almost everything through the Library node.
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

Just wanted to update. I don't know what was going on, but I completely started my library over and with most recent build of MM3 and all tagging seems to have stuck or been remembered like previous.

Now if I can just get all of the 80 or 90 thousand files renamed the way I want. Too bad there is so much different stuff to rename and no formatting program stylings really fit.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

That's some great information. Here is what I want to do, ultimately, with most of the tracks; format them and renamed like this:

Artist - Date of show (format of show will be yyyy-mm-dd) - Venue - Location (City, State or City, Country, outside of the US).xxx

The associated info file, with each set of shows will be the same format except with ' - info.txt' appended to it.

The original files can vary from track##.xxxx to ##track##.xxx to some having a partial name, etc. The other extenuating circumstance is that I would like to add the track name to the file name. This is the part that can be even more time consuming than the first aspect of renaming. Since most of these tracks are from shows I have collected over the years (upwards of 25-30k shows, I am guessing, though I have not updated my listed in almost 2 years).

Does anyone know of a database of known concerts that have surfaced over the last 40+ years. If I could find something similar to freedb or such, that would be awesome!
kookykrazee

Post by kookykrazee »

I am having this issue again. I recently cleared my entire library for a test of my files among other things and my video 'tag' info is not remembered across sessions. The only new thing I can think of that was added was MM2VLC addon. I also have the VideoNode, but no other added scripts of plugins.

Every time I close MM (3.2.2.1300) the info I entered for my mkv files and some avi files is gone and they are all misorted. This happens in the LIbrary node and Artist node (the 2 main nodes I use, at this time).

Any new suggestions?
elliottdp

Post by elliottdp »

Aaaaaaarrrggghhh!!

I am in great need of info on a problem.

I have just finished spending months and months and months .... (get the idea?) correcting artist, Title and Genre fields for over 120,000 tracks. They were REALLY messed up.

I have setup MM3 to save the audio files on my HD as Artist(s) name as the folder and corresponding songs within each folder. <Artist>\<Title>.

All the id3 v1 and v2 tags were corrected and so on.

Before tackling the problem of duplicate content or titles, etc. I figured I would clear the library and rescan everything to get a clean start.

While the folders and tracks appear to be unmoved, MANY of the tags appear not to have taken. ie. I have tracks under the genre <149>, <255>, <=), ********, etc.
It's crapped up again.

Many of the Artist names are again listed w/ the song title AND artist name in the Artist column.

WHAT has happened?

According to the help file clearing the library should not have affected tags.

I'm about ready to stab my eyes out, but first blow up my computer. Even though it may very likely be due to user error.

Any bright ideas for shortcuts?
DJSigma

Post by DJSigma »

I would first try and narrow down whether it's an issue with your tags, or whether it's an issue with MM.

Download MP3Tag (it's free) and then take one of the albums that shows up as a weird genre, "<255>" or whatever, then open it in MP3Tag. Does the genre show correctly there? What type(s) of tag(s) are attached to the files?

I highly doubt that it has anything to do with you nuking your library and starting over, as that just clears out the database that MM uses to catalogue your music. It doesn't affect the actual tags of your files.
elliottdp

Post by elliottdp »

Thanks for the idea.

I just looked at some tracks using MP3 Tag. It looks as if many of the genres I assigned did not take.

Many tags appear to have reverted back to their prior assigned info. ie. Van Halen -> Rock & Heavy instead of the tags I used Rock: Hard

I do not understand why this would be so.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It seems that the tags weren't saved to the files so when you cleared the Library you lost the tags. What you should have done (although I don't recommend clearing the database unless it is a last resort (mine is 8 years old)) is go to the Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags node and verify that no files are listed there. If files are listed there is a good chance the tags in the database aren't saved to the listed files (select all listed files and use Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags).

Also be aware that not all tags are saved for all formats: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0

If you still have a copy of the old database from before the clearing (you also should make regular backups) you could use it to recover your unsaved tags.
elliottdp

Post by elliottdp »

Is there anyway for MM3 to look at the folders and assign (tag) artists to the tracks that are found within each folder??

ie. h:\Audio Source\Stevie Wonder; Michael Jackson\We Are the World.mp3

That would fix most of my problems.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »