files in computer

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

humanbodymechanic

files in computer

Post by humanbodymechanic »

A few weeks ago I was in a hurry to get music onto a Best Buy Pilot Player that I had added a 16G card to a 4G device. By accident I "copied" files to the pilot player rather than synching _ I'm really not sure how this happened because when it comes to computers I'm always confused! Anyway, now my Media Monkey has songs in gray instead of in black. I know the music files must be somewhere on my computer, so how do I just re-add them to Media Monkey without having to transfer from the pilot player? And btw, when the songs did "copy" to the pilot player, most of them transferred as "unknown" even though when they were in Media Monkey, the artist, title, album was there.
Lowlander

Re: files in computer

Post by Lowlander »

Are you sure you copied and didn't move them? Otherwise did you move the songs on your PC at some point?
humanbodymechanic

ok, you're right> I "moved" the files, I didn't "copy" them. I'm sure the music files are still on my C/ drive. I just want to now how to get them into Media Monkey again without having to organize all the playlists and rating each song again -- basically, how do I turn the "gray" words back into "black?"
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

humanbodymechanic wrote:ok, you're right> I "moved" the files, I didn't "copy" them. I'm sure the music files are still on my C/ drive. I just want to now how to get them into Media Monkey again without having to organize all the playlists and rating each song again -- basically, how do I turn the "gray" words back into "black?"
If you moved the files then you have to move them back to their original location. If you copied the files, then you wouldn't have this problem as the original files would still be in the same place on the hard drive.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
humanbodymechanic

But "nohitter," that doesn't answer my question. I screwed up because I was in a hurry. I had to get those music files onto the mp3 before a trip. Synching wasn't working for me for whatever reason that night (non-issue now). So I "moved" the files onto the mp3. They are in the original place on the hard drive. I need to know how to get them back into Media Monkey. If I follow the "help" menu of "adding tracks and updating the library" I am afraid I will have to start organizing my playlists and ratings from the beginning - I obviously don't want to start from the beginning. Is there a way to pull them off "MY Music" to make the gray colored words back to black in Media Monkey.

If I connect the mp3 and "move" the music files back into Media Monkey - all hell will break loose. It won't accomplish anything except removing all that music from my mp3. And since that night I "moved" the files to the mp3, the mp3 has a lot of "unknown" titles (even though they were listed titles in media monkey before the transfer.

I'm an idiot when it comes to computers, so I hope I'm being clear in asking my question.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

If you can locate them on your computer, then just rescan.

File > Add/Rescan >Select Folder Where Files are > Press OK

If they've been moved away from C: Documents and Settings > My Music, then its probably a wise move to copy them back to the default location.
Regards,

Scooter
Registered Lifetime Gold Licensee
Since 2006

Custom RAID Workstation > Focusrite I/O > 1g Cat6 Network > Adcom Preamp > Vandersteen Crossover > Adcom Power Amp > Vandersteen 3 Speakers > Vandersteen 2wq Subwoofer
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

humanbodymechanic wrote:But "nohitter," that doesn't answer my question. I screwed up because I was in a hurry. I had to get those music files onto the mp3 before a trip. Synching wasn't working for me for whatever reason that night (non-issue now). So I "moved" the files onto the mp3. They are in the original place on the hard drive. I need to know how to get them back into Media Monkey. If I follow the "help" menu of "adding tracks and updating the library" I am afraid I will have to start organizing my playlists and ratings from the beginning - I obviously don't want to start from the beginning. Is there a way to pull them off "MY Music" to make the gray colored words back to black in Media Monkey.

If I connect the mp3 and "move" the music files back into Media Monkey - all hell will break loose. It won't accomplish anything except removing all that music from my mp3. And since that night I "moved" the files to the mp3, the mp3 has a lot of "unknown" titles (even though they were listed titles in media monkey before the transfer.

I'm an idiot when it comes to computers, so I hope I'm being clear in asking my question.
It isn't clear because you haven't told us exactly what you did. You keep saying that the files are on the original place in the hard drive, but if that was the case, you wouldn't have this problem, since the file locations didn't change.

The question is how did you move the files. Did you move them from within MM (via location node or my computer node, or perhaps via auto-organize) or did you cut/paste via Windows explorer or some other program?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you moved the files to the MP3 player you will need to copy the tracks from the MP3 player back to your PC.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

once you get the files back in to the location on the hard drive they were origianly located at.
the gray lines in monkey should change back to black lines.

because monkey is looking for the songs in the original location and does NOT see them so he makes all links to them as Gray. to show you there is a link but he can't find the song.

this mainly happens as everyone above has said. when you move the songs from outside the control of mediamonkey.
as in cut and paste from windows explorer. that is basic newbie screw up error number 1.

mediamonkey has all the songs sign the register book at the counter when they check in to their rooms.
if they leave their rooms by the fire escape or back exit and don't tell the mediamonkey clerk, then the front desk still thinks they are in the room because the registry says they are there.

when he finds they are not there he can not remove them from the register but he does write over their sign.. with gray ink.
so the cops can see who is the one that is not there,

so the songs can either get picked up and taking back by the cops or they can get back in the room the way they got out.
which if the cops get them back they get double entrys in the register,
if they get back in the way they left then when the clerk calls to get them to show up for there timed stage preformace and they answer he then turns the gray ink back to black.

so it is best if the songs don't get out by the window exits, but go by the mediamonkey clerk instead.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
humanbodymechanic

Thank you everybody! I will try the rescan -- I bet that will work because I don't believe the files were taken off the computer itself -- we'll see! "Roving Cowboy" thank you for your most entertaining response! ;-) Even a computer idiot can follow that logic! lol
bard999

Post by bard999 »

I am deleting media monkey...there is no reason in this age of technology as to why something like this should happen so I will go back to Itunes...Too bad but sometimes you just have to know when the battle is lost
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

bard999 wrote:I am deleting media monkey...there is no reason in this age of technology as to why something like this should happen so I will go back to Itunes...Too bad but sometimes you just have to know when the battle is lost

some times in this day and age you need to know also that other software will affect other software and that there will always be bugs.

and going from the old software to the new software you must forget everything about the old software and learn the new.

however in the case you bring up, itunes is made behind locked doors and nobody knows the code to which is needed to merge some third party software features with it so the two different programs can both work together. this is the fault of the itunes creators NOT the creators of mediamonkey. BUT if you so wish to go back to a program that will mess up your songs and not let other hand held devices play them that is up to you.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Actually it seems a user error where the user moved the files to the portable player and thus can no longer find the songs on the PC.