Ripping CDs Creates 2 files

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

starmint

Ripping CDs Creates 2 files

Post by starmint »

I had strange tracks popping up in MM, stuff that I'd added to my library that had acquired strange track names. For example: 26B8 2BC1 369A 748B etc. I just kept going through and renaming them, I had no idea how they were getting there. But recently I ripped an album off CD and more of those tracks popped up. I played them and they were all the songs off the album I ripped! They were located in the computer under the correct Artist folder and Album folder but with strange names. They were .wav files. But also on the library and computer are the files I ACTUALLY ripped. I had set the computer to rip to MP3 format, so there in the library there are all the CD's tracks, correctly named, and in the right location on the computer as well, just in MP3 format. The .wav files are also much louder than the MP3s! I have no idea how these strangely named duplicates are showing up, they are auto added to the library hours after the original ripping. I would really like for them not to show up anymore though so any help would be appreciated.
Lowlander

Re: Ripping CDs Creates 2 files

Post by Lowlander »

I'm wondering if these are temporary files MediaMonkey creates while ripping, but didn't have rights to remove from your PC?
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

I have experienced something similar. I use EAC to rip cd's to mp3 and they show up in MM as expected. These tracks have all the correct info.

I have learned to look for other tracks with very strange info and all are wav files which I think are the temp files which are supposed to be automatically deleted but somehow are added to my library. I thought it was the only one. lol

Jim
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Ripping programs always rip to wav first and then convert those tracks to whatever destination format you've selected. It seems that for some reason MM doesn't delete the wav files. Maybe because you've added them to the library. In that case you should check your file monitor and make sure you aren't continuously scanning your user folder which contains your TEMP folder.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

The only folder I monitor is C:\My Music\ which doesn't contain a temp folder.

Could EAC be creating a temp folder there, where it's scanned by the file monitor, and then deleted before I ever knew it existed?

Jim
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Just check the path of these WAV files in your library and you'll know where the temp folder is.
Just JP

Post by Just JP »

Time to find something to rip. I will report back.

Thanks.

Jim
starmint

Post by starmint »

One of the files is a temp file, located G:\Music\MM Temp\D8B2.wav. But that's only one, or some of the files, others are listed as G:\Music\Unknown\Unknown\00 - E36A - Unknown.wav. And in one instance it was even listed under the correct Artist and Album folders... I'll trying moving the temp file and see what happens next I guess.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have Tools > Options > Auto-Organize enabled? It could be moving the WAV files.
starmint

Post by starmint »

I moved the TEMP folder, it was listed under the main music folder.... so that prob was the problem. Silly. I'll post back if I have any more problems with it, but other than that, assume that fixed it. Thanks for your help.