How to get New Directory to show in MediaMonkey

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

cthorne

How to get New Directory to show in MediaMonkey

Post by cthorne »

I have a directory structure showing in MediaMonkey, but I want to revise it. I want to create some directories & move tracks to them. I looked for a way to create a directory in MediaMonkey, but could not find a way. So, I went to Windows Explorer & created a directory under one of the directories monitored by MediaMonkey & listed in the location node. It didn't show in MediaMonkey even if I refreshed the view, rescanned the directory or restarted MediaMonkey. So, I moved a track file under that directory in Windows Explorer & tried restarting MediaMonkey. Still, no new directory.

So, how do I create a new directory & re-organize my audio files the way I want them & have MediaMonkey list it in the location node.

Thanks.
nohitter151

Re: How to get New Directory to show in MediaMonkey

Post by nohitter151 »

Tools > Auto-organize files
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

cthorne wrote:So, I moved a track file under that directory in Windows Explorer & tried restarting MediaMonkey. Still, no new directory.
After that adding the file you would need to run File > Add/Rescan Tracks unless you have the File Monitor enabled to get the file added and thus see the directory. You can also see the directory in the My Computer node and move the files to there. But Auto-Organize Files as Nohitter151 mentioned is the easiest option to move files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... enames.htm
cthorne

Post by cthorne »

I appreciate the responses, but I don't get it.

Auto-organize looks to me like it creates filenames & directories based on metadata in the files. That's good if that's what you want & the metadata is complete and accurate. First, that's not what I want to do & second the metadata is not complete & accurate. [I'm trying to do this with a single track [audio file] and a single directory so that I can tell how to do lots of other audio files that I want to organize.

Also, the new directory that I created in Windows Explorer is NOT shown in MediaMonkey anywhere that I know to look, including my computer. So, I guess I still do not know how to get a directory shown in MediaMonkey. If I could get a directory shown, I could probably move a file [audio track] to it within MediaMonkey. However, I don't know that I can do that if I cannot try it because I can't get a new directory to show up in MediaMonkey.

I'm thinking I can get the directory/file structure set up first & then work on the metadata. Maybe that's the problem. Am I missing the point & MediaMonkey needs the metadata complete & accurate first and isn't made to create directory structures manually & put files in them except by metadata-driven operations? Is that the point? If it is, I'll have to rethink what I'm doing. Correcting & completing the metadata on files not structured correctly to me is like putting the cart before the horse. Seems like a lot of metadata work before I can get the organizing done to me.

But this still wouldn't answer the question of how to get a new directory created outside MediaMonkey to show up in MediaMonkey, especially if that directory is a sub-directory of a directory already shown in MediaMonkey. Also, did I mention that I moved an audio file in the existing MediaMonkey display to the new directory. I did the move in Windows Explorer. Didn't help...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

cthorne wrote:I appreciate the responses, but I don't get it.

Auto-organize looks to me like it creates filenames & directories based on metadata in the files. That's good if that's what you want & the metadata is complete and accurate. First, that's not what I want to do & second the metadata is not complete & accurate. [I'm trying to do this with a single track [audio file] and a single directory so that I can tell how to do lots of other audio files that I want to organize.

Also, the new directory that I created in Windows Explorer is NOT shown in MediaMonkey anywhere that I know to look, including my computer. So, I guess I still do not know how to get a directory shown in MediaMonkey. If I could get a directory shown, I could probably move a file [audio track] to it within MediaMonkey. However, I don't know that I can do that if I cannot try it because I can't get a new directory to show up in MediaMonkey.

I'm thinking I can get the directory/file structure set up first & then work on the metadata. Maybe that's the problem. Am I missing the point & MediaMonkey needs the metadata complete & accurate first and isn't made to create directory structures manually & put files in them except by metadata-driven operations? Is that the point? If it is, I'll have to rethink what I'm doing. Correcting & completing the metadata on files not structured correctly to me is like putting the cart before the horse. Seems like a lot of metadata work before I can get the organizing done to me.

But this still wouldn't answer the question of how to get a new directory created outside MediaMonkey to show up in MediaMonkey, especially if that directory is a sub-directory of a directory already shown in MediaMonkey. Also, did I mention that I moved an audio file in the existing MediaMonkey display to the new directory. I did the move in Windows Explorer. Didn't help...
The "Location" node under "Library" only shows directories that have actual tracks in them that are in the library, it won't show other directories. If you move a track to a new folder, the only way for MM to know that track has been moved to that folder would be to scan it via File > Add/rescan.

You can instead use the "My computer" node to create new directories and browse the PC as you would with Windows explorer.

You can also just use "Auto-organize". While you can use existing metadata, you don't have to. Say your track is in C:\Music\Hello Goodbye.mp3 and you want to move the file to a new sub-folder called "Beatles". Regardless of what metadata is available in the file, you can just type in "C:\Music\Beatles\<Filename>" to move any set of tracks into that subfolder.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
cthorne

Post by cthorne »

That actually worked. I did a rescan in the my computer node & it found the new directory & discovered the moved track. It also asked if I should remove the missing track[the previous location of the track]. I also see that in my computer, I can make new directories. So, maybe I can do what I wanted using the my computer node. I'll experiment some more and update this thread with my results...
Lallas

Post by Lallas »

You can instead use the "My computer" node to create new directories and browse the PC as you would with Windows explorer.
When you use this method of creating new directories and copy files from one place to another (In my case that'll be my whole library from one drive to another) will MMJ still locate tracks belonging to playlists, Virtual CD's and so on?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When you move files from the Library to the My Computer they should remain in the library and thus playlists remain working in MediaMonkey (not other software though).

Are you moving Virtual CD files or files with a copy in the Virtual CD?

Post by Guest »

No the Virtual CD was just given as an example... ;)

I've tried some copying and wonder if there really is a way to keep database data such as number of plays and last played when moving an entire collection of files from one drive to another?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, the best is Tools > Auto-Organize Files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... enames.htm
Lallas

Post by Lallas »

Lowlander wrote:Yes, the best is Tools > Auto-Organize Files: http://www.mediamonkey.com/sw/webhelp/f ... enames.htm
Seemes to be an easy way to make the file transfer, keeping the files remaining in the MMJ catalog. But in my testing it doesnt Iook like the information bout number of plays and last played still is there.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you select files in the Library node and use it play counts will remain.
Lallas

Post by Lallas »

Did just that. But I will give it another try tomorrow. It's late in Europe you know ;)
Thanks for now.
soneil

Post by soneil »

I've had similar issues. When I get music from places like Beatport or rip songs from CDs I put them all in to one folder. I have that folder auto monitored so that anything i put in there is added straight to the library (having only 1 folder auto scanned I find is good for performance). Then from there I can easily move them within media monkey to whatever folder they're destined for.

The problem is when I want to move songs from there in to a folder that doesn't yet exist, I have to create the folder outside mm, move at least one song in to that folder and then scan that folder in mm before I can move songs in to it from within mm.

Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply add an option in mm itself to create a new folder? I know folders can be automatically created in various ways but I often want to create a new folder manually within my music database and have it come straight up, without having to leave mm. I don't need to leave mm for much else to do with my music so it's a pain having to leave mm to manually create a folder within my existing folder structure.

If there's already a way to manually create a new blank folder in mm so that I can move songs in to it then I'd like to know.
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

In the My computer node --> right click --> New folder
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)