Getting Track numbers into my tags

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

d4005

Getting Track numbers into my tags

Post by d4005 »

Is there any way (using something like the batch album art finder script from trixmoto) to update the track numbers on my otherwise perfectly tagged library? I've got them all in the correct folder structure, the album names are good, the year is good. Everything one would need to do a good look up. I'm just missing track numbers.

Some of my albums are complete, but some are only partial (where I've deleted the songs I didn't like). If there is a track number search script, would it fall over if it discovered missing tracks ?
Dreadlau

Re: Getting Track numbers into my tags

Post by Dreadlau »

If you have the track numbers in the file names:
You can use "auto-organize from filenames"

If you have the track numbers in the file names and the number is at the beginning of the file names:
You can sort by filename and then use "auto-increment track numbers"

if your filenames don't contain the track number:
You can use auto tag from web.

In any case, it will be one album at a time.
( except for "auto-organize from filenames" where it will depend on the names of your files )
Seven Ultimate X64 SP1 / Sansa Clip 2go (with RockBox)
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

d4005 wrote:Is there any way (using something like the batch album art finder script from trixmoto) to update the track numbers on my otherwise perfectly tagged library? I've got them all in the correct folder structure, the album names are good, the year is good. Everything one would need to do a good look up. I'm just missing track numbers.
Ha Ha Ha, i'm only laffing cause I just spent time and deleted all my track numbers..( I could have gave you mine :D )

I hate track numbers I can't sleep good knowing they are in my tags.
Different strokes for different folks ..good luck in your search
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

tosarge wrote:
d4005 wrote:Is there any way (using something like the batch album art finder script from trixmoto) to update the track numbers on my otherwise perfectly tagged library? I've got them all in the correct folder structure, the album names are good, the year is good. Everything one would need to do a good look up. I'm just missing track numbers.
Ha Ha Ha, i'm only laffing cause I just spent time and deleted all my track numbers..( I could have gave you mine :D )

I hate track numbers I can't sleep good knowing they are in my tags.
Different strokes for different folks ..good luck in your search
:o ~ :lol:
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Eyal! it's 4 am. you're not sleeping? ;)
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

It's 10:00 PM here... :wink:
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

Oh o:

Bonne Soirée! then ;)

Ps: Didn't know you were from Canada.
d4005

Post by d4005 »

I don't have the track numbers in my filenames (which are in the form "artist - songname.mp3") so no joy on that front.

I also have avoided track numbers like the plague in the past, but now that I've got my library in the perfect form (folder structure, filenames, artist, song title, album, genre, embedded art) I was looking for that final touch. Sure it'd look a bit weird when I've only got two tracks from an album (e.g. track 3 and track 8) and I have them tracked as 3/12 and 8/12, but I don't have a problem with that.

Why would I want the track numbers? Well, if you're gonna play an album (however many songs of it you decided to keep) it just seems slightly more sensible to play them in the sequence they were originally. Otherwise I'm just playing them alphabetically based on song title, which makes way less sense.

I'll give that auto-tag from web a try, now that my album tags are good I should have success. It better not screw up the rest of my tags though. I hope there's an option to choose what gets updated (I guess I'll find out in a minute when I stop typing here). Well that killed some time while I was making a build :)
Dreadlau

Post by Dreadlau »

d4005 wrote:I'll give that auto-tag from web a try, now that my album tags are good I should have success. It better not screw up the rest of my tags though. I hope there's an option to choose what gets updated
Yes. It works with check-boxes. So uncheck all of these except "track #" and it should only update the track numbers.
Just be careful to do it one album at a time.

I myself tag the track numbers and even the disk numbers. So you're not alone. ;)

Good luck.
d4005

Post by d4005 »

Started with the auto-tag, tried a few different providers (amazon uk, discogs, and others). Waaaaaay too much effort for very little gain. I've abandoned that idea completely now. No track numbers for me then (not that i'll particularly miss them). It was only an icing on the cake tag anyway, I got my main ones that are worth something (year, genre, album, art) :D :D
tosarge

Post by tosarge »

d4005 wrote: I've abandoned that idea completely now. No track numbers for me then (not that i'll particularly miss them). :D
Yaaaaaa ! you got the the track # Monkey off your back :D

be free my friend