Default playlist sort order (in player and on device)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nickhimself

Default playlist sort order (in player and on device)

Post by nickhimself »

Sorry if this has already been covered, I did not see any topics regarding this issue on the first couple pages (unless their topic did not accurately reflect my question, in which case OOPS).

MediaMonkey seems to sort items in my playlists and on my ipod touch by date added and I don't know how to make it sort automatically by song title. It's aggravating to search through my playlists which can be hundreds of items in length to find a song. Is there a way that I can force MM to sort by something other than date added by default?

Thanks in advance for any help I may receive here!
Lowlander

Re: Default playlist sort order (in player and on device)

Post by Lowlander »

You will need to modify the playlist order yourself by drag & drop or sorting on one of the columns and the Alt+F5 to save the new sort order.
nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

This didn't work, at all. Alt+F5 gives no sort of confirmation as well as does nothing else in my player.

I did find that Auto Playlists have a Basic function where you can set Sort order by type, hopefully that will rectify my problem. If not, then I don't know what else to do and it makes no god damn sense that a player would sort by date added by default.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nickhimself wrote:This didn't work, at all. Alt+F5 gives no sort of confirmation as well as does nothing else in my player.

I did find that Auto Playlists have a Basic function where you can set Sort order by type, hopefully that will rectify my problem. If not, then I don't know what else to do and it makes no god damn sense that a player would sort by date added by default.
Autoplaylists are a different story. Lowlander was referring to regular static playlists.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Alt+F5 wasn't working for static playlists. It literally did nothing. I don't know which version of MM actually uses Alt+F5 as a feature but apparently mine doesn't.

At any rate, I generally only use auto-playlists anyway so it's very nearly a moot point until that one time I want to make an actual playlist and I have to resort to manually moving things around. =/
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In AutoPlaylists you can define sort, just set it to sort on Title.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nickhimself wrote:Alt+F5 wasn't working for static playlists. It literally did nothing. I don't know which version of MM actually uses Alt+F5 as a feature but apparently mine doesn't.

At any rate, I generally only use auto-playlists anyway so it's very nearly a moot point until that one time I want to make an actual playlist and I have to resort to manually moving things around. =/
Alt + F5 is the shortcut to update playlist order. You can achieve the same thing by changing the sort of a static playlist (eg. click on "Title" column header to sort by Title), then right click the static playlist that you just sorted and "Update Play Order". You'll see the shortcut listed right next to it in the context menu.

This is of course with the current MM release 3.2.5 but the same feature has been around since the 2.0 days.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nickhimself

Post by nickhimself »

Yeah, I noticed this after I posted. Having a confirmation sound play after using that would have been nice. At any rate, situation: fixed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Most people wouldn't want their media program play confirmation sounds interrupting playback of their media.
Macarena

Post by Macarena »

Hi all,

I am not able to see the alt-F5 nor the menu option for saving the playlist order in MM4.0.0.1460. Has this feature been discontinued? M

correction: It is only missing as a menu item to execute. The feature works on calling Alt-F5. M
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

That is because when manually moving files within a Playlist the new order is saved automatically. So you don't have to save the updated order. It does show when sorting on columns as these changes aren't saved automatically.
vfirebird

Post by vfirebird »

The Update Sort Order option only shows up after you select a column to sort by. Go into your playlist and choose the Title Column to sort and then right-click your playlist in the Playlists tree and the Update Play Order Alt+f5 option shows up.
mcgirt

Post by mcgirt »

This is an insightful thread. It did help me save the sort order by Artist, but when I start typing a name, it looks for the Title. Clicking on the column header lets me do this. Is there another setting I need to update? This occurs only in my static playlist. It works fine in my regular Music collection tab.

I have MM 4.0.2

Post by Guest »

mcgirt wrote:This is an insightful thread. It did help me save the sort order by Artist, but when I start typing a name, it looks for the Title. Clicking on the column header lets me do this. Is there another setting I need to update? This occurs only in my static playlist. It works fine in my regular Music collection tab.

I have MM 4.0.2
I am also running into this. Is there a fix or workaround?