Album Art in folder without saving

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

bonzo728

Album Art in folder without saving

Post by bonzo728 »

I noticed that in the My Music folder on my computer that some of the albums, when looking at them in the thumbnail view, have the album art displayed and others do not. None of the folders have a picture of the album art saved in them, and I would prefer to keep it that way. Is there a reason why this is happening where some folders have the art while others don't? All of the albums in question have the album art in Mediamonkey and I have it set up in the options to save the album art to the tag. I know it's not an issue of saving the actual album art picture file, because like I said none of my folders have that. Here is a picture of my folder for the Benevento/Russo Duo, which has the album art http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/535/unleduha.png/

And here is a folder with no album art http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/unledoy.png/

Here is a screenshot of MM, displaying the album art for the folder that has none http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/4/unledlxl.png/

It's nothing of a major issue, I am just curious why this happens
nohitter151

Re: Album Art in folder without saving

Post by nohitter151 »

Actually, there probably is art in the folders, as a hidden system operating file. Windows Media Player automatically extracts these images from file tags and saves them there when any tracks are added to the WMP library.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
bonzo728

Post by bonzo728 »

nohitter151 wrote:Actually, there probably is art in the folders, as a hidden system operating file. Windows Media Player automatically extracts these images from file tags and saves them there when any tracks are added to the WMP library.
That's interesting. Could there be any other explanation or solution? The reason I am asking is because I don't use WMP and none of my music is in a WMP library.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

bonzo728 wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:Actually, there probably is art in the folders, as a hidden system operating file. Windows Media Player automatically extracts these images from file tags and saves them there when any tracks are added to the WMP library.
That's interesting. Could there be any other explanation or solution? The reason I am asking is because I don't use WMP and none of my music is in a WMP library.
Windows Media Center does the same thing if you use that. I suppose other programs might, but I've only ever had it happen to me with WMP. You can check easily if there actually is any image saved in the folder. In Win Explorer go to Tools > Folder options and under the 'View' tab enable "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected Operating system files"

bonzo728

Post by bonzo728 »

nohitter151 wrote:
bonzo728 wrote:
Windows Media Center does the same thing if you use that. I suppose other programs might, but I've only ever had it happen to me with WMP. You can check easily if there actually is any image saved in the folder. In Win Explorer go to Tools > Folder options and under the 'View' tab enable "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected Operating system files"
Yup, you're right. There were files there for the folders that have album art. How do I get those hidden files into the folders that don't have the album art? I guess if need be I can add my music to WMP to see if that works.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

bonzo728 wrote: Yup, you're right. There were files there for the folders that have album art. How do I get those hidden files into the folders that don't have the album art? I guess if need be I can add my music to WMP to see if that works.
That ought to do it. But here I was thinking you didn't want that art to be there :lol: . It irritates me when WMP generates these files without me asking.