MM4 - very laggy. (Help please)

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Panander

MM4 - very laggy. (Help please)

Post by Panander »

I have been a MediaMonkey user for years (since 2005). Left MusicMatch after an upgrade which made the program cumbersome and slow. MM was a breath of fresh air then - fast, slick, stable. I have enjoyed every upgrade which have always been seamless and have not interfered with the slickness of the program.

Until now with MM4.

On the upgrade it did not use my settings from MM3 but I have got it going again now. I find that toolbars keep reappearing when I have said I don't want them. Change any settings in the Options and the screen sort of half disappears while it saves the settings. All small things and as it is the first release of a new version I can live with that.

However what I don't like is the wait you get now when opening up trees in the Music Library. For example, to open up the Artist & Album Artist Node means 18 seconds of eggtimer before it loads the artists. In v3 it was nigh on instant ( have a library of near on 16000 tracks). Close it and go do something else and you go through that again with the same wait when you return.

I will add that the database is on a NAS unit so more than one machine connects to it.

The slickness that was MediaMonkey has gone .... this version is at present clunky and slow (This on two machines - one on a fresh OS install). I am so disappointed I will hopefully be reverting back to V3 although my database is probably now screwed (good job I practise regular backups).

My opinion ..... hopefully it will return to its former glory with a few tweaks.
Last edited by Panander on Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panander

Re: MM4 - very laggy.

Post by Panander »

Oh dear ....

Reinstalled MM3 .... replaced updated MM.DB file with old pre MM4 one.

Run ....

Now I get the warning ....

"Cannot load query data. Could not find field: Songs.TrackType, PT:0"

Uninstalled and removed all references to MM. Rebooted. Reinstalled MM3. Same problem.

Not at all happy.

Is there any way of getting rid of this?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The MM3 and MM4 database files are saved to different locations on the hard drive, so you should not have replace one with the other. In fact you can even install them both and use them side-by-side.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Panander

Post by Panander »

nohitter151 wrote:The MM3 and MM4 database files are saved to different locations on the hard drive, so you should not have replace one with the other. In fact you can even install them both and use them side-by-side.
Mine is on a NAS unit so it can accessed on a network by more than one machine. This was "updated" when I upgraded to MM4. As I have done for a long time, I pointed to the MM.db in the .ini file. It worked but was deadly slow. Back on MM3 it runs so quickly.

I do have this error message though which is concerning and I would like rid of.
Panander

Re: MM4 - very laggy. (Help please)

Post by Panander »

Bump ....

I would really appreciate some help on this please
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The error:

sounds to me like you are using MM4 with a MM3 database. TrackType is a new file property as of MM4.

Panander

Post by Panander »

nohitter151 wrote:The error:

sounds to me like you are using MM4 with a MM3 database. TrackType is a new file property as of MM4.
Well as I stated earlier I reinstalled MM3 and replaced the MM4 database with a previously backed up MM3 one. It appears that MM4 makes changes elsewhere .... the .ini file perhaps but that is in a different location so I don't see that it can.

I think I am going to have to drop the DB from the network and run it per machine with the other machine monitoring the Music folder (on a NAS device) for changes.

Not exactly the usual smooth upgrade I have always experienced with MM in the past.

Thanks for your thoughts
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Any change to the .ini file could not possibly generate the error you mentioned. It seems to me that you might have gotten your MM.DB files confused at some point.

Panander

Post by Panander »

nohitter151 wrote:Any change to the .ini file could not possibly generate the error you mentioned. It seems to me that you might have gotten your MM.DB files confused at some point.
Not a chance.

My music file and MM.DB are both on a NAS device (different locations on the unit though).

These files are backed up to a number of drives (bit paranoid on that score :-? ) but this I do manually.

The .ini file pointed to the location of the MM.DB. On the new .ini file that MM4 uses I put that location under [System]

Starting MM4 for the first time it started the "Updating" process of the MM.DB. This took ages.

After this had completed MM4 started but was laggy as hell.

I the reinstalled MM3. I also replaced MM.DB from a backup location overwriting the MM4 updated one on the NAS unit.

There is no way I am confused about where any of my files are on this one.
jiri

Post by jiri »

Panader,

I'd like to understand why you experience the slowdowns. MM4 is actually in many operations significantly faster that MM3, so your results are pretty different from what we measure here. Although it should be done automatically after upgrade, you could try to Optimize your library. If nothing helps, you could send us a debug log of some slow operations or even the complete database (with a description of how to reproduce the problems).

Jiri
Panander

Post by Panander »

jiri wrote:Panader,

I'd like to understand why you experience the slowdowns. MM4 is actually in many operations significantly faster that MM3, so your results are pretty different from what we measure here. Although it should be done automatically after upgrade, you could try to Optimize your library. If nothing helps, you could send us a debug log of some slow operations or even the complete database (with a description of how to reproduce the problems).

Jiri
I reinstalled MM3, replaced MM.DB and all worked well.

Uninstalled MM3, reinstalled MM4 but in an attempt to speed things up went down the separate DB route for each machine.

(This worked pretty well but could you please tell me how to stop the program monitoring folders. I asked it to monitor NAS\Music which contains about 700 subfolders. I know have about 700 separate folders being monitored and can find no way to easily stop monitoring them. Whatever I do they are back next restart. Also the continuous folder monitoring was very hit and miss. Despite various "tests" not one track was added unless I instigated a scan or checked the monitoring was in fact on)

To check things I have reverted back to one DB on the NES device. It now starts slowly .... the splash screen appears for a few seconds then disappears. The interface appears 12 seconds later. The strange thing is that the next time I start the program it might start quickly or there might be the delay. It is not consistent. The trees open quickly now which is good.

I still feel MM4 is slower than MM3 - MM3 was rapid over the network, MM4 just feels a rad slower with a much slower startup.

Debug log? Wheres that then?

Now about that bloody monitoring - PLEASE tell me how to get rid of the damn thing as I don't need it using one database.

Thanks

--
Mick
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Debug log: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
File Monitoring: File > Add/Rescan Tracks and in the File Monitoring area remove the folders to be monitored by deselecting both monitoring options.
KEP

Post by KEP »

nohitter151 wrote:In fact you can even install [both MM3 and MM4 database files] and use them side-by-side.
How?
Panander

Post by Panander »

Lowlander wrote: File Monitoring: File > Add/Rescan Tracks and in the File Monitoring area remove the folders to be monitored by deselecting both monitoring options.
Hmmmm .... Having just unchecked every folder may I ask whether a shared folder on a NAS device - for example FOLDER1 (NAS/FOLDER1/) is treated differently to folder2 (NAS/FOLDER1/folder2/). Monitoring NAS/FOLDER1 led to every single folder in that folder being listed separately meaning that I had hundreds of different folders being monitored and not just the one plus everything in it. I could stop monitoring FOLDER1 but that still left all of the folders within it. Does MM not like monitoring a top level folder?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

KEP wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:In fact you can even install [both MM3 and MM4 database files] and use them side-by-side.
How?
Install MediaMonkey 3 and 4 to different folders. Because the DB's are stored in separate locations, you can use both programs to manage separate DB's.