Question on Collections.

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Enforcer84

Question on Collections.

Post by Enforcer84 »

So if I make a new collection, like the classical music example.
How do I (or can I) set it up so that the music from the new collection no longer shows up on my original music collection?
MM3 monkey

Re: Question on Collections.

Post by MM3 monkey »

I'm no expert, they will be along shortly I'm sure - so be careful taking my advice! However...

MM4 comes with a Classical Music collection by default. When you scan in your files, It looks for a genre like "Classical" (I don't know the full rule-set) and it automatically puts those files in the Classical Music collection.

EDIT: re: the bold part below, please see the next post.

If you want to put files into that collection by hand, select the files and open Properties (Shift+Enter). Near the top of the first tab is a drop-down box for "Type". Choose Classical Music in there. They will have now moved to the Classical Music collection in the tree.

I don't think it's possible to have a file in two different collections - and, as you suggest, I don't think you'd want that anyway. i.e. Collections are discrete from each other (I think).
Last edited by MM3 monkey on Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MMW 4.1.9.1764|MMA 1.1.3.0482|Android 5.0|Win 8.1 64 bit
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

Scratch that.

I've got 11 more songs in my Collections than are in my Entire Library.

When I scanned in my tracks (I've only done music so far), I realized that I had some .mp4 music videos in my music folder - and MM had allocated them to my Music collection. So I changed their Type to Music Video. They are now in the Music Video collection. But they are also in the Music collection.

So I eagerly await the experts' answer to your original post:
Enforcer84 wrote:So if I make a new collection, like the classical music example.
How do I (or can I) set it up so that the music from the new collection no longer shows up on my original music collection?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

File > Manage collections

Click to the "Music" collection, then click the "Edit" icon to the right of the delete button.

Check "Criteria" tab. By default, the music node includes both "Music" and "Music Video" type.

Each collection's rules for included tracks can be accessed the same way.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

Thanks for the clear explanation.

I actually like it the way it is - especially as when the videos play they just open up in that 'preview' window; it doesn't interfere with anything. I was just confused why I had more tracks in my Collections than in my entire library.
bgibbard

Post by bgibbard »

I had originally moved all my Classical Music over to the Music collection, as I often listen to both classical and non-classical in the same session, but now that I know that you can nest collections inside one another like this, I have re-separated the Classical Music into its own Collection, and then added Classical Music to what is included in the Music collection, giving me the best of both worlds if needed.

Also, just minutes ago I happened to stumble purely by accident on something quite wonderful that does not seem to be documented anywhere that I can find in the help files. Until now what has always displayed on the top line of the Player as a file is played is <Artist> - <Title>. I just discovered that if the file is put in the Classical Music collection, it does not do that. Instead it displays <Composer> - <Title>. This is fabulous, because it lets me use the Artist field for the performers and yet still be able to see the composer on the player. Is there any where to configure this behaviour? I can't seem to find a way to do this in the Manage Collections dialog.

Also, when editing a collection you are supposed to be able to select an icon, but I can't seem to find a file to select that contains the basic collection icons.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Tools > Options > Playback Rules and modify the Player section.
bgibbard

Post by bgibbard »

Lowlander wrote:Tools > Options > Playback Rules and modify the Player section.
Ah, perfect! thanks.