Displaying the correct album art in MM4

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

DJSigma

Displaying the correct album art in MM4

Post by DJSigma »

I had this problem in MM3, but I'm wondering if there's a way to sort it out in MM4.

I have a mixtape that has album art for each track embedded into the files: -

Also in the folder is this folder.jpg file: -

MM4 displays the art for the individual tracks in the player at the bottom of the screen and the art changes as the track changes (which is what I want to happen): -

The problem is, MM4 chooses the art embedded into track 1 as the main album art, instead of the folder.jpg file: -

Under Tools - Options - Library - Tags & Playlists is an Artwork section with some new options. I currently have those settings on their defaults: -

So can I change something here to make it display folder.jpg as the main album art instead of the artwork embedded into the first track? Surely the "first image per Album/Series" setting should do that and it's already set to folder.jpg, but it's not displaying folder.jpg?

Thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Displaying the correct album art in MM4

Post by Lowlander »

MediaMonkey chooses the first Art listed in the Artwork tab, so there is no way to fix this.
DJSigma

Post by DJSigma »

Lowlander wrote:MediaMonkey chooses the first Art listed in the Artwork tab, so there is no way to fix this.
Could it be something that's addressed in a future version?

I don't understand the album art functionality in MM to be honest. You said that it chooses the first piece of art listed in the artwork tab. That makes sense, but then I right click the album and choose "Edit Artwork Properties". That brings up a list of of all of the artwork embedded in the tracks, as well as the folder.jpg file, except it's in this order: -

Track 1 artwork
folder.jpg
Track 2 artwork
Track 3 artwork
Track 4 artwork
Track 5 artwork

etc.

So as track 1 artwork is at the top, that's why it's showing as the main album image. Again, I understand that, although I don't see why track 1 artwork would be at the top, above folder.jpg as you're far more likely to want folder.jpg as your album art than whatever is embedded into track 1.

I then click on the folder.jpg artwork and press the up arrow key to move it to the top, above track 1 artwork. That fixes the album art view in the main window as it shows folder.jpg as the artwork for the album, but it also immediately tags all of my files with the artwork from every track, so each track has 41 pieces of art embedded into it instead of 1. Why?
DJSigma

Post by DJSigma »

The best solution I've discovered is to do this: -

Right-click just track 1 of the mix and choose Properties. Click on the Artwork tab. Make sure the box next to "Apply to all files in the Album/Series" is NOT checked, then move the folder.jpg image up so it's above the image embedded into the track itself.

That gives me the correct album art in the main window. Also, when it switches from one track to the next, the artwork still changes and displays what's embedded into the tracks, apart from track 1 as that now shows folder.jpg instead, but that's preferable to what was happening previously.