Auto-organise rules weirdness, collections

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

colin_e

Auto-organise rules weirdness, collections

Post by colin_e »

MM: 4.0.3.1470

In the past life was simple, my audio library only really contained music, and it was all organised in one folder tree on my NAS box.

Now with MM4 i'm trying to configure MediaMonkey to auto-organise Music, Podcasts and Audiobooks separately, but i'm not having a lot of luck with per-collection auto organise rules.

My default auto-organise rule for music is-

\\servername\Music\Library\<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Track#:2> - <Title>

Whereas for Podcasts (where Collection= Podcast) it's-

\\servername\Music\Podcasts\<Podcast>\<Date> - <Title>

And for Audiobooks it's-

\\servername\Music\Audiobooks\<Author>\<Title>

I have rules to put items into collections based on their types. That part works ok, for example Audiobooks end up in the Audiobooks collection as long as I set type=Audiobook.

However if I navigate into a collection, select some tracks and hit "Auto-Organise", MM seems to mostly select the wrong auto-organise rule. It's not random, it looks more like "whichever auto organise rule you used last", irrespective of the rule set up for the collection.

Is this as bug, or am I misunderstanding something about how this should be configured?

Any ideas much appreciated.

Regards: colin_e
Regards: Colin
Lowlander

Re: Auto-organise rules weirdness, collections

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Organize and Auto-Organize Files are 2 independent features.
colin_e

Post by colin_e »

Lowlander wrote:Auto-Organize and Auto-Organize Files are 2 independent features.
Thanks for the info.

Now, given that everything you might want to auto-organise in MediaMonkey IS a file, I would say that having Auto-Organise and Auto-Organise Files as two disconnected functions that do the same thing (organise files based on tags) using the same syntax is not the most obvious piece of design.

Given how easy it is for special cases to do dangerous or deranged things with processes like auto-organise, I don't feel comfortable having this run silently in the background (Auto-Organise), I prefer to control it interactively (Auto-Organise Files), so it's a shame you have to keep re-entering different rules for different file types.

I suppose that's an enhancement request then :-}
Regards: Colin
BKKKPewsey

Post by BKKKPewsey »

colin_e wrote:so it's a shame you have to keep re-entering different rules for different file types.
Once you use a rule MM will remember it and it will be available using the drop down list box.
I have rules set up for tv shows, classical, compilations & general music etc - I just need to remember to select the correct one :D
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use an $if in Auto-Organize Files and construct one big rule.