Stop MM from opening when I start my computer

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

delilahmused

Stop MM from opening when I start my computer

Post by delilahmused »

I can't for the life of me figure this one out. Note: I'm not talking about autorun when I plug in my iphone, this is when I actually start window. The only thing plugged in is the little thingy for my wireless mouse. I love everything about MM except this. I know I've done something along the way but for the life of me, I can't figure out what. Is this perhaps a choice in the install that missed?

So far I've:
Looked for a setting to change in MM options
run msconfig and looking for it in startup (it's not there)I
downloaded autoruns and run it since it gives a more detailed view (not listed)

The only thing I haven't done is uninstall/reinstall. Should I try that?

Thanks so much.
nohitter151

Re: Stop MM from opening when I start my computer

Post by nohitter151 »

There is no setting in MM to open automatically when Windows starts. So it has to boil down to something you've done in Windows, like an auto-run with a portable device or harddrive, or with a CD, etc. Or, it could be that you've added a shortcut to MediaMonkey at the Start > Programs > Startup folder.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
delilahmused

Post by delilahmused »

Okay, I'll look again, thanks!

Cindie
jdoornek

Post by jdoornek »

I'm having similar problems tryingto stop MM from launching whenever I plug in my iphone.
I read on another post somewhere that the only way to stop this is to edit the registry?
Hope not.
I changed all the settings in windows autorun to "don't start, ask me first", and MM is still launching when I plug the phone in.

Here is an excerpt from that other post.

Guest » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:21 pm

[quote="MediaMonkeyedIPhoneUser"]Some bad (or maybe just old) information on the thread above. It absolutely is not a matter of deleting it from Autoplay and it definitely is "not just Windows". The installation for version 4.0.3.176 of MediaMonkey adds 4 Autoplay registry entries when it installs and does not give a UI opton in the settings to disable them.

None of the solutions above work Windows XP. But this is the way to do it.

To stop MediaMonkey from launching when you plug in your iPhone, do the following:

1. Start Regedit.exe (continue with caution! -- create a backup or a System Restore Point first)
2. Browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AutoplayHandlers\EventHandlers\

There are several MediaMonkey event handlers, but the MediaMonkeyStartHandler was the one that caused the issue.

Delete the MediaMonkeyStartHandler from the location above and this annoying behavior instantly goes away.[/quote

Actually, disabling the option in Autoplay worked just fine for me. It's not that you're disabling Autoplay completely, just specifically for when you plug your iPhone in. You can still have iTunes launch automatically, if you want. Personally, I have that turned off too.Guest
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

jdoornek wrote:I'm having similar problems tryingto stop MM from launching whenever I plug in my iphone.
I read on another post somewhere that the only way to stop this is to edit the registry?
Hope not.
I changed all the settings in windows autorun to "don't start, ask me first", and MM is still launching when I plug the phone in.
Lots of topics covering this question already:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ow#p321224
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.