Initialization error/Access violation...

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

rovingcowboy

Re: Initialization error/Access violation...

Post by rovingcowboy »

martinstephenbanks
if the popup is not completely blocking view of the panel in mm, can you drag the panel to where you can view the buttons to click on, then click to get by the popup? or does it stop the mouse from clicking on anything except the popup alert?

that would be the only way i know to get to the box behind the popup. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
martinstephenbanks

Post by martinstephenbanks »

Thanks Rovingcowboy but yeah the pop up has to be closed to get to allow anything else to get focus.

HOWEVER... I have got it working considerably better by switching back to using the Administrator user. I still get the stupid access violation pop ups but nowhere near as often.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I agree with Lowlander. Upgrade to 4.1.1.1702 if you don't have the patience to send the bug report first. I've had trouble with one thing or another in every version of MM I've ever had. So far, since upgrading to latest version, I haven't had a single issue. It could also be hardware. I recently built a new system which I think has made a world of difference.

Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe [mobo]
Intel i7 3770K [cpu]
Corsair DDR3 Vengeance LP 8.0gb [ram]
Samsung 128gb 840 Pro Series [SSD] Win 7
nvidia GeForce 650 GTX [gc]
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
martinstephenbanks

Access Violation - End of tether, may move on from MM :(

I am VERY, VERY sad to say that I think I am at the end of my tether with the Access Violation error in MM and have begun to research alternative software.

EVERY SINGLE time I do ANYTHING in Media Monkey I get hit with 3 or 4 error messages which 99% of the time begin with "Access Violation..." and usually within about 15 minutes of using the program it expands its problems by giving me the error if I use the Delete button (be it in a tag to correct spelling or in the main window to delete a track or any other use of the key) and does not perform the actual deletion desired. Or even worse, it also often does the same thing when I try to play a track. Whether I hit enter on a track or double click it, it throws me the error message and doesn't play the track. I have to close the program and re-open it to change what is playing!!

I am currently in the process of re-organizing my library so I am editing tags constantly and when I get 4 error windows per change per track it becomes extremely infuriating. If I change the name of an album I am hit with over 30 of them and if I don't watch carefully at the last one I will hit enter one too many times and change what is playing to what is highlighted! (unless of course the above mentioned problem has kicked in, in which case I simply get hit with more error windows!!)

I REALLY, REALLY don't want to move on but I simply cannot work on this anymore, try as I might.

I have installed the Debug version and I have sent countless messages with explanations of what I was doing at the time. I had to give up on that version and switch back though because every time an error would've popped up I instead got a loooooong delay and eventually an error report window. After so many reports though (I'm guessing they have a cap on it so you don't spam the hell out of the dev team), the messages stopped coming and the program would instead freeze for an age and go to Not Responding. I was having to go to another window to fill the time while I waited for it to unfreeze!

If someone can please tell me a solution I will be extremely grateful. Or failing a solution, I would also listen to alternative software suggestions. The preferred option definitely being the former though as I used to really love MM before this began.
MMFrLife

Re: Access Violation - End of tether, may move on from MM :(

Post by MMFrLife »

What version of MM are you using?
Regular install or portable?

How old is your computer?
How much memory do you have?

Is your music drive internal or external?

How long has it been since you've done a registry cleaning and
defrag (if not using an SSD for C:\), if ever?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
😜
martinstephenbanks

I have the latest version and the regular install. Running on Windows XP.

The machine is kinda old but works fine for all other things. Memory is 3.5GB.

The music drive is a second hard disk, my F: drive. I moved it all separate years back when it became such a big collection.

I clean my registry using CCleaner. It has been a bit of a while since my last of that and last defrag so I will try both. Thanks for the suggestions. It isn't a solid state drive, just a regular 500GB Western Digital drive
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

martinstephenbanks wrote:The machine is kinda old but works fine for all other things. Memory is 3.5GB.
That memory might be correct, but it sounds more like a processor speed. Just to be clear, I'm talking about RAM (like 1gb, 2gb, 4gb, 8gb, etc.)
You say it's kinda old, so what is the processor type (Pentium 4, Pentium 4 HT, Celeron, Pentium D, Core 2 Duo?)

Also, be careful of multi-tasking activities with MM if you have an older system.
martinstephenbanks wrote:I clean my registry using CCleaner. It has been a bit of a while since my last of that and last defrag so I will try both. Thanks for the suggestions. It isn't a solid state drive, just a regular 500GB Western Digital drive
You may also want to try a Reg cleaner program called Eusing Free Registry Cleaner. It is one of the "old guards" at reg cleaning. That doesn't mean
It will cure all your MM ills, but it is touted for reg cleaning reliability, at least. Use the CCleaner too (is a good general program) but Eusing will clean reg
more extensively (is easy/intuitive to use).

On the defrag, I would recommend Ultradefrag. Defrag first, then do "full optimize" over night.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ultradefrag/files/

http://www.eusing.com/free_registry_cle ... leaner.htm

Outside of all of that, you can try uninstalling MM (after backing up database) and installing/trying the portable edition,
which could possibly eliminate the issues you are having, but do the other stuff first.
😜
martinstephenbanks

Thanks very much for the suggestions. Will attempt them all. As you can see, I don't want to give up on MM! :)

I was slightly wrong on my memory, I have 3GB. Here is the full details:
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\Administrator\My%20Documents\My%20Comp.jpg[/img]

OK, so I guess I don't now how to attach the image. It is:
Pentium D CPU 3GHz
2.39GHz, 2.99GB of RAM
martinstephenbanks

One more thing; If I go for re-installing MM, what are the files I need to make sure I save so it keeps all of my tagging and ratings? I have rated over 21,000 songs so I am understandably scared of losing that hard work (twelve years worth of work in fact!) :)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Did you ever capture a debug log of the Access Violation and send the log to support?

I'd suggest only keeping the DB (MM.DB): http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -ini-files
martinstephenbanks

I installed the Debug version and it sent many messages. Is that the same thing as capturing the debug log? If not I am happy to do more to help the dev team. I program for a living so I know how difficult it can be with vague info to go on.

And will the MM.db maintain all of my playlists, genres and ratings? As long as I don't change any filenames or filepaths it will work once reinstalled, as if nothing ever happened?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Not entirely. If you follow step 4b as suggested and attach a log to a support ticket you'll get feedback on the issue you're having. It could be something on the PC causing the issue.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

I know one of the biggest flaws of the Pentium D's were that they tended to run overly hot and weren't the most efficient things.
You "certainly" don't want to be "multi-tasking" it with too much media stuff.

Access violations are typically memory issues, so it wouldn't hurt to do the debug as suggested along with the other suggestions.
Let us know how it goes!

You can't attach an image from your computer. You have to post it online, typically to an image hosting site, then copy/paste the URL from
the page that the image is on. Now, put the address in your post in between img bookends ([img]url[/img]).
😜
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

martinstephenbanks wrote:I have the latest version and the regular install. Running on Windows XP.

The machine is kinda old but works fine for all other things. Memory is 3.5GB.

The music drive is a second hard disk, my F: drive. I moved it all separate years back when it became such a big collection.

I clean my registry using CCleaner. It has been a bit of a while since my last of that and last defrag so I will try both. Thanks for the suggestions. It isn't a solid state drive, just a regular 500GB Western Digital drive
well that is what I think your trouble is your using the newer mm on the xp system, it won't work on the xp as it should because it has more codes in now for win 7 and win 8, the only mm version I'm using on my xp systems is mm 3.2 or 3.6 the last version of mm 3.
xp does not have the needed files for some of the codes in mm 4 and it messes up the mm 4 when used in xp your getting the errors because of that. if you want to use mm then go back to mm 3 you will have to make sure you set your library up the way you want too then just doe a complete uninstall of mm4 delete all mm 4 files and the database,
reinstall mm 3's last version. and use vlc to watch your videos.

I've just got win 7 but I was trying to update my skins in mm 4 on xp pro sp3 and got tons of issues that I just up and stopped with them. but now that I got mm 4 and win 7 the old mm 3 skins do work fine in mm 4. not many issues with them at all.
so the codes in the op system are the trouble makers.

believe me I've held out as long as possible on getting win 7 but now you can get some cheap buys on machines the computer repair shops put together. just get win 7 pro I got this tower only for 650. us dollars. it included the win 7 pro install disk. sure I'm adding in all the software I need to keep it cleaned and running or the programs needed for printing and stuff but that's little to do for such a cheap tower.

I'd keep the xp as a offline unit for the xp programs you need to use or just for a jukebox or xp games.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

rovingcowboy wrote:well that is what I think your trouble is your using the newer mm on the xp system, it won't work on the xp as it should because it has more codes in now for win 7 and win 8.......xp does not have the needed files for some of the codes in mm 4 and it messes up the mm 4 when used in xp your getting the errors because of that. if you want to use mm then go back to mm 3.....reinstall mm 3's last version.
That is a great point Roving. Martin..,What version of MM were you using before you upgraded to latest.
rovingcowboy wrote:now you can get some cheap buys on machines the computer repair shops put together. just get win 7 pro I got this tower only for 650. us dollars. it included the win 7 pro install disk.
If you decide to upgrade your computer, have one built or build it yourself. Avoid commercial bundle machines sold at big retail stores that come with recovery discs. If you can get 7 pro or higher as part of the deal, that's great. But Win 7 Home Premium will suffice.
😜