MM4 Database Discrepancies

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

teapot

MM4 Database Discrepancies

Post by teapot »

Bought a new computer with Windows 7 Home Premium x64, upgraded from MM3 Gold to MM4 Gold Lifetime and put all my music files on a new 2TB drive. Decided to start fresh, so did a new install of MM4 Gold. Set all my MM options just the way I like them, then did a full scan of all my music files with the Auto-Organize option. I immediately noticed that I had 12,475 actual music files (all .mp3) on the harddrive, but only 11,966 songs in the MM4 database. So, I cleared the database and did another full scan. Same result. Installed the SQL Lite 3 ODBC drivers and used Access 2010 to open the Songs table. It contains 12,600 records with the SongPaths all in their correctly formatted Auto-Organize mask location (F:\Music\<Artist>\<Album>\<Track>). In MM4, I have no filters set and all songs are in the Music collection with the criteria set to Type=Music.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out why there are these large discrepancies. I've done queries in Access 2010 looking for various types of duplicates, but found nothing out of the ordinary. I'm not a database wizard, but I am reasonably knowledgeable in how to use Access with ODBC. I will be building a table of file names from the 12,475 original files and trying to construct a query to see what the differences are between it and the SongPaths in the MM4 DB.

I'm running out of ideas, so I'm turning to the community to see if anyone can give me some new ideas for where to look next.
MM Gold:Lifetime version 4.1.25.1895
Windows 7
Denon AVR-X2600H
LG TV OLED65C9PUA
Wired LAN connections
Lowlander

Re: MM4 Database Discrepancies

Post by Lowlander »

Check in the Entire Library Collection (enable under File > Manage Collections). Also are you sure you have that many MP3 files?
teapot

Post by teapot »

Checking Entire Library in Collections made no change to the MM4 Track count. Yes, I'm sure of exactly how many .mp3 files there are as the originals are all in a single directory. Plus, I've used several different file utilities to count the .mp3 files in the new Auto-Organized physical location on the new hard drive and it's the same as the original directory.

I'm most puzzled about the difference between the MM4 interface and the Songs table within the MM database. I would think that they should be the same. I know that sometimes a file has issues with it's tag and won't scan into MM, but I got no indication that this had happened either time I started with a blank database and scanned in the entire collection.

When I get time, I'm going to put the list of original files and the Songs table into side-by-side columns in Excel and just start manually comparing them.

***EDIT
I finally figured out where the tracks went. It's that stupid Classical Collection nonsense that was added to MM4. Even though I edited all the tracks with "Classical" as the Genre to "Old" before scanning all my tracks into an empty database, MM4 changed them back to Type=Classical after I edited the Genre from "Old" back to "Classical". I sure hope someone writes an add-on that disables that function in MM !!!
MM Gold:Lifetime version 4.1.25.1895
Windows 7
Denon AVR-X2600H
LG TV OLED65C9PUA
Wired LAN connections
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

No need for an addon. They already changed it, see http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 35#p353533
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

teapot wrote:I finally figured out where the tracks went.
Then you didn't check the Entire Library Collection as that's where all files are regardless of what Type they're assigned.