MM sees other tags than MP3TAG and iTunes

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

brainzina

MM sees other tags than MP3TAG and iTunes

Post by brainzina »

Hi !!

I have a big collection of MP3s which I now decided to manage with MM .. I was a big fan from the first minute but during the tests I've run before adding all 200.000 files some problems appeared ..

It seems like MM reads other Tags than iTunes or also MP3TAG .. This appears only with very few files but still is problematic ..
For example I add the Forrest Gump Soundtrack to the library .. All files are perfectly added expect of the last track of the first CD .. There the album tag changes from "Forrest Gump OST" to "Bookends" which seems to be the name of an album this song is also in .. When I open the files in MP3TAG the album tag of the specific file is alwasy (before and after adding it to MM) "Forrest Gump OST" ..

I checked everything like "Auto Tags from the Web" and I tried it often .. I also tried it with different tags (IDv2 and IDv3 seperatly)

I googled and found out that it could be something like a double field that contains two values from previous setting but there is no solution to solve this .. If I had 10 files with this problem it wouldn't be a big thing but I would like to add all 200.000 files in one big session and for that I cannot take the risk of having files with wrong tags ..

Can anybody help ??
BKKKPewsey

Re: MM sees other tags than MP3TAG and iTunes

Post by BKKKPewsey »

If you are happy that your tags are good, make sure that you untick "Infer file properties" in Options/Library.
That can give some odd :-? results at times and is better to leave that off.
Remember the monkey will not change your tags unless you tell it to.
What you see when looking at your files in MM is the monkeys database & not your actual tags :)
Everyone has the right to be stupid Image but some abuse the privilege
brainzina

Post by brainzina »

This option is unchecked .. I tested it with and without it but like you said I thought it would be saver to switch it off ..

Meanwhile I don't think that MM changes anything .. I think MM gets a wrong tag information but I don't know from where and how to change this ..

Is there any possibility to see how it comes to certain tags ?? Like what is the actual tag and what does MM shows ??
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you're other program features a tag cleaning/rewriting tags feature you may want to try that. Sometimes tags get corrupted and for example have the same tag multiple times (this can be a source of discrepancy). MediaMonkey can't show you raw tags like MP3Tag for example can.

Tags used by MediaMonkey: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... erties/4.0
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Great link ... thanks a lot for that Lowlander
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
brainzina

Post by brainzina »

Thanks for your help and the link !!

I removed all tags from all files of the forrest gump album .. The result (in MP3TAG and TagScanner equally) was that all files showed no tag information but the one file which was shown wrong in MM (Mrs. Robinson) still has tag information with the album "Bookends" like it is shown in MM ..

I'm currently trieing to find a solution to re-write all tags or clean them so I can get rid of those wrong data somewhere in my mp3 files .. Seems not that easy but I think I'll figure out a way ..
brainzina

Post by brainzina »

I found a tool which repairs corrupted tags .. It also repairs all sorts of errors or problems in an mp3 file .. mp3val (http://mp3val.sourceforge.net/) ..

For me it seems to do a good job .. The problem now is how to get the lillte app to do its job on all my files .. But that's another story ... ;) ..