Auto-Complete on Multiple Actors

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

inpariswithyou

Auto-Complete on Multiple Actors

Post by inpariswithyou »

When I'm tagging a song with multiple artists, the program auto-completes names for me, even after the first. When I tag actors in a movie, however, it doesn't. Is there any way to have the Actor field mimic the Artist?

Or, if I have to use the artist field for the actors to get that auto-complete feature, is there any way to have ENTIRELY separate libraries, so that the artists from my movie collection do not appear as artists in my music collection?

I'm using MediaMonkey Gold, by the way.
dtsig

Re: Auto-Complete on Multiple Actors

Post by dtsig »

It is my understanding, from similar questions, that the answers to yours are ... no and no. Although MMW does "media" the addition of film (avi etc) is very very far behind in development. I am not sure if there is a lot of thought going into the film section of MMw but I have never seen many enhancement or even fixes in the error db (mantis). But i could be not looking in the right place.

I wish they would start improving that section so I could really use it.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
inpariswithyou

Post by inpariswithyou »

dtsig wrote:It is my understanding, from similar questions, that the answers to yours are ... no and no. Although MMW does "media" the addition of film (avi etc) is very very far behind in development. I am not sure if there is a lot of thought going into the film section of MMw but I have never seen many enhancement or even fixes in the error db (mantis). But i could be not looking in the right place.
That's really unfortunate. I love MediaMonkey. It's the only program I've found that's able to handle nearly all the video extensions I have, and it's the only one that I've found that lists multiple actors as a individual entities. I wish there were some other option, perhaps one that was built to handle video metadata as well. It just seems strange to me, since they obviously have the technology for auto-completion in multiple entries, that they didn't incorporate it across the board.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I don't understand, auto-complete works fine on the actor field for me. According to mantis it's been implemented since 4.0.
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=7789
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
inpariswithyou

Post by inpariswithyou »

nohitter151 wrote:I don't understand, auto-complete works fine on the actor field for me. According to mantis it's been implemented since 4.0.
It works for the first actor, but any actors after that first don't auto-complete... at least not for me. Do they for you?
inpariswithyou

Post by inpariswithyou »

nohitter151 wrote:I don't understand, auto-complete works fine on the actor field for me. According to mantis it's been implemented since 4.0.
Gonna bump this again, as I still cannot get auto-complete to work after the first actor in a movie. (That is, I can auto-complete the first actor, but if I try to add a second or a third, they don't auto-complete and I have to type the names out in their entirety.)
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I am using the beta 1662 and yes it does have multiple actors. For example "Family Business", which i ripped yesterday and auto-tag'd for actors shows Sean Connery; Dustin Hoffman; Matthew Broderick; Rosanna DeSoto; Janet Carroll

What version are you using? Or did i miss that
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
inpariswithyou

Post by inpariswithyou »

Ah, you're auto-tagging them? I can have multiple actors without a problem. The problem comes, though, when I'm trying to enter the actors.

I can enter the first actor -- say, Michelle Pfeiffer -- and if I have another movie starring her, her name will pop up after I type only a few letters -- Mic, perhaps. But when I go to add a second actor -- Claire Danes, say -- even if I already have other movies with her in them, her name will not auto-complete -- I have to type the whole thing out in its entirety.

This is different than the artists fields. I can type as many names there as I want and every single one auto-completes, even if it's the fourth or fifth or tenth in the field.

It just seems like odd behavior, since the actors and the artists fields are virtually identical, though used for different media types.
inpariswithyou

Post by inpariswithyou »

Also, I'm using Version 4.0.7.1511, MediaMonkey Gold.
disassembledmind

Post by disassembledmind »

Make sure all your Actors, or anything in a multi-item field (Director, Producer, etc.) are separated by a semicolon (Jason Mewes; Kevin Smith; Ben Affleck), and not a comma (Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith, Ben Affleck). You can use this add-on to automatically change them all in seconds if this was the problem: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28510 .
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

disassembledmind wrote:Make sure all your Actors, or anything in a multi-item field (Director, Producer, etc.) are separated by a semicolon (Jason Mewes; Kevin Smith; Ben Affleck), and not a comma (Jason Mewes, Kevin Smith, Ben Affleck). You can use this add-on to automatically change them all in seconds if this was the problem: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28510 .
I believe you will find that defined in Tools->Options->Library->Appearance midway down the page or the right "Split Mutilple-value fields with"
As a note it is my understanding that this only defines how the data is displayed. I believe physically it stores it with NULL as the seperator. Sorry i misunderstood your original question.
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
disassembledmind

Post by disassembledmind »

I never knew that "Split Mutilple-value fields with" option was there. I did some testing and you're right, it is only for appearances. Seems you have to "physically" change the separator in the tags, either using an add-on like RegExp Find & Replace, a program like Mp3tag or manually in the file properties. You can use the option to display them any way you want, but to get them to show up as separate items, they need to be tagged with semicolons dividing them. I tried using commas and vertical bar/pipes, and neither one of them worked, at least for me. So for instance, I display my videos in the details view with columns, and one of those columns is actors. When I used commas or pipes to separate them in the tags, that column showed 2,018 items, which is the number of movies I have. Each line listed the actors in one movie, separated by a comma or pipe. I used RegExp to switch the separator to a semicolon, and that column now displays 67,589 actors, one line for each actor. I'm thinking this is what he needs to do to get the actor's name to auto-complete when he searches for them.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

hmmm good information. Doesn't seem like a practical thing
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

DTSig
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There are 2 parts to this. One is how multiple values are stored in the files, this is to adhere to the standard to insure compatibility and isn't user modifiable. The second is how this is presented to the user in the interface, this is the ; by default and can be changed by the user. However it only affects how things are displayed (and what character you use to enter multiple values).
inpariswithyou

Post by inpariswithyou »

This still seems to be a problem for me, even with the latest MediaMonkey build.

Anyone else having the same issue: when entering multiple actors, actors after the first don't auto-complete?