Dual libraries possible?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

tppytel

Dual libraries possible?

Post by tppytel »

I haven't actually installed MM yet, but was hoping someone could provide a quick answer of whether or not what I want is possible.

I'm transitioning from using separate Linux and Windows boxes to just a single Win7 box. Nearly every music track I have is ripped straight from a disc to both FLAC (for home use) and medium-quality MP3 (for an iPod in the car). So I used to use Exaile on Linux for the FLAC's and iTunes on Windows for syncing the iPod, with the libraries held in separate folders on a file server.

Is it possible for Mediamonkey to handle both of these jobs in a reasonable way? That is, would it be possible to organize things so that I can easily browse just the FLAC's from my PC, but sync just the MP3's to the iPod? If so, that would be pretty sweet. But if it gets messy I'll probably just stick to iTunes for the syncing, which is basically what I've already been doing.
Peke

Re: Dual libraries possible?

Post by Peke »

Use collections criteria to filter one Format from Library and create new collection for other.

That way you can select what will be see and what will be for sync.

Tools -> Options -> Library -> Media Tree
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
tppytel

Post by tppytel »

OK, thanks. But it looks like I need the Gold version for both the filtering and collection-adding functionality. Is that correct?

I'm not at all averse to buying the software if it works. I'm just a little leery of putting down money before I can see it completely in action and make sure it does what I want. Is there a time-limited demo available? It doesn't look like it.
FrozenAssets

Post by FrozenAssets »

With Gold you could have a single library of flac and set up auto conversion rules for syncing. One library to maintain, and the conversion is done on the fly.
tppytel

Post by tppytel »

FrozenAssets wrote:With Gold you could have a single library of flac and set up auto conversion rules for syncing. One library to maintain, and the conversion is done on the fly.
Oooo... now that is slick. I'm checking out the wiki page for it now. (I've already ponyed up for Gold, BTW - I'm pretty confident MM will work for me.) Just to clarify... the auto-conversion will work properly with my iPod? I know there's some monkey business (ha!) going on with MM using iTunes libraries to handle the sync. And presumably all the tags and album art would come over as well?

I imagine an initial sync with conversion of several hundred CD's of FLAC files would take... some time.
FrozenAssets

Post by FrozenAssets »

I have had good success syncing a 6th generation nano. Here is a list of compatible devices. http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... le_Devices

Tags and artwork come across, there are options to set how that is handled.

Initial sync will take a while, especially with the conversion. I think I ran it over night, done in the morning. It will depend on specifics of your setup.
tppytel

Post by tppytel »

After exploring a bit more, I don't see a big benefit to setting up convert-on-sync. I sync my entire library to the iPod - it's a 160GB Classic that was purchased just to have the whole library in the car. It's just as easy to add the FLAC's to the library first and then convert those to MP3's and auto-add them. This also lets me tweak the Artist names on the MP3 side - MM's sad lack of ARTISTSORT support means I need "Dylan, Bob" in MM for the FLAC's. For the iPod's MP3's, I'm using MP3Tag to set the ARTISTSORT values, so I need to reset the correct (unreversed) ARTIST name for those.

I really wish that MM supported ARTISTSORT. It's the only flaw for me in an otherwise awesome product.