Empty Playlists

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jflandis

Empty Playlists

Post by jflandis »

Most of my playlists are somehow now empty. I had just added a few songs, rearranged songs in one, then synced my 4th Gen IPod Touch. Went to sync my 3rd Gen. For some reason MM locked up, I closed it and reopen it. Tried to sync the 3rd gen again. It synced, but only 600 songs out of 3000+. That’s when I discovered the empty playlists. Am I screwed or can I get them back. I tried the “optimize data base” it did nothing. I guess I can copy back to the computer from my iPod but won’t that give me duplicates in new folders?
Lowlander

Re: Empty Playlists

Post by Lowlander »

This can happen when the files were removed from the Library.
jflandis

Post by jflandis »

All the songs are still in the library and play fine. I'm 90% sure my database is damaged / corrupt. Is there a backup anywhere or a way to rebuild it? I’m pretty handy with computers. I looking for the best way to approach this so I don’t do anything that would ruin my chances to recover it.
Last edited by jflandis on Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If files are removed from the Library they'll be removed from the Playlists as well. That this happened can be hidden if Folder Monitoring is enabled (as it would add the files back into the Library).
jflandis

Post by jflandis »

I just checked several songs that were in multiple playlist and those are still in the few playlist I have left.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

jflandis wrote:in the few playlist I have left
jflandis wrote:Most of my playlists are somehow now empty.
Are Playlists empty or missing?
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

I don't know if this is related but this happens on my Sony Walkman with one of my playlists, one containing my rated podcasts. Walkman players put podcasts in a separate folder (called "PODCASTS") from the one used for music (called "MUSIC").

I use a playlist to sync podcasts to my player and the playlist does show up on my player but it is empty. This is because the playlist only shows files that are loaded in the Music folder. Since all of the podcasts go into the Podcasts folder, they don't show up in the playlist.
jflandis

Post by jflandis »

Most of my Playlists are empty. The names are still listed under Media Tree – Playlists but the songs that where there for years are now gone. The playlists still show up under “Send to” and Auto Sync. In Auto Sync, as you hover over the bad playlists it says “No Tracks”
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Do you have Folder Monitoring enabled?
jflandis

Post by jflandis »

Lowlander wrote:Do you have Folder Monitoring enabled?
No I do not have Folder Monitoring enabled.
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

This is a well-known problem to MM users, but not apparantly to MM programmers. If you have a playlist on an MP3 player (of any kind) and one of the same name in MM on your PC, when MM scans the player (as it must in order to sync) MM will remove from the playlist on the PC EVERY track not on the MP3 player. Why MM staff can't (or won't) fix this is beyond me. An earlier discussion is here:

http://forum.mediamonkey.com/viewtopic. ... 26#p361926

No attention has been paid to this issue by MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Uhm, according to that post that bug has been fixed already in MediaMonkey 4.1.
jflandis

Post by jflandis »

I did read that before I posted but I am running 4.0.7.1511