Changing classifications

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

windcrest77

Changing classifications

Post by windcrest77 »

Does anyone know how to delete all the current classification selections for Mood, Tempo, Occasion, Quality and enter new ones? These are not working for me especially the obscure one called "Stax Volt" whatever that means. I'd like to start all over with my own classification codes.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Changing classifications

Post by Lowlander »

You can delete them manually from the Classification nodes in the Media Tree (right click on one to delete) or try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... move+genre
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Lowlander wrote:You can delete them manually from the Classification nodes in the Media Tree (right click on one to delete) or try: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... move+genre
thanks that worked. I use BPM for tempo. How would I change the classification called "Tempo" to "Dance" and for that matter change rename all the other classification types too? These are really handy having the choices in a drop down but I need to repurpose them for dance studio use. I'd like to classify by the type of rhythm, use of claves, meter, how tight the pocket is in a swing genre for example on and on, is it cut time or 4/4, etc... Tempo is already a duplication of BPN, Quality is already a duplication of bitrate and file type (lossless vs lossy types), Mood might be useful, Occasion maybe to separate Christmas music? How to rename the classification headings itself?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can't rename the fields. However you can type any value in them.
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Lowlander wrote:You can't rename the fields. However you can type any value in them.
Is the name of the classification type on the DB? or is it hard-coded in the exe? If its on the DB I should be able to change just a name with a database utility.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There is no point changing it in the DB, first of all they are real ID3 (and other tagging standards) fields and any naming in MediaMonkey would come from the language file, not the DB. At best you can achieve a cosmetic change.
windcrest77

Post by windcrest77 »

Oh that makes sense why the ID3 people thought you needed both a BPM and Tempo tag is beyond me.

It would be nice in a future release if the general purpose fields Custom 1 thru 5 could be "named" in MM and have the UI provide a drop down list style of updating these columns just like the classifications work. And provide a tool bar button to select a button that will update multiple selected rows just like classification except populate Custom1 for example. The Custom fields seem to just render a text box in the UI and not a lookup values drop down. I'd like to call Custom1 "Workflow" then have the drop down with values like "Auditioned (not worthy)", "Auditioned (deciding)", "To do", "Try out this song for <insert dance name here>", "Determine BPM", "Has possibilities", etc. in other words, make a drop down Classification called "Workflow", something to mark songs from a management perspective as to what I need to do to them in the future to make them index properly in DJ and studio use. A way to quickly get back to work you intend to do, big libraries are hard to go through, a simple Classification of workflow would be nice. I'm using "Occasion" for that now but would like to rename "Occasion" to "Workflow".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I'm pretty sure that 100BPM Easy Listening tracks is of high tempo, whereas for a Dance track this may be slowish. Thus BPM is the actual Beats per Minute whereas Tempo would be how fast that is perceived for the given Genre of the track.

You can name custom fields under Tools > Options > Appearance. Auto-Complete and multi-value has been discussed a few times.