Playback spoken word from Audible.com

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

purbeckjm

Playback spoken word from Audible.com

Post by purbeckjm »

Just started trying out MMW as a replacement for iTunes, and so far so good. Very impressed. But one big issue for me at this stage - I cannot play any spoken word files (".aa" suffix) from Audible.com. I just get an Error box with "Mediamonkey is unable to decode this format"

So, any suggestions or advice for resolving this? Do I need to download some extra codec, and if so, which one of the various addons do I need? And why can the existing codec that iTunes uses (because iTunes plays the files no problem) not be used by MMW?

I'm not an expert in the codec field, I understand that they are needed for media file playback but that's about it. So any help from folks who understand these things better would be much appreciated! Being able to playback Audible.com files is an absolute must-have for me.

Thanks
Lowlander

Re: Playback spoken word from Audible.com

Post by Lowlander »

You can't use MediaMonkey due to the DRM that's on files from Audible.
purbeckjm

Post by purbeckjm »

Thanks for the response, was afraid that might be the case. However, is there any way I still could use MMW simply to manage the Audible files, rather than actually play them? In other words, could I have Audible files in my Library, and be able to copy them to my iPhone for playback by the Audible app? I don't appear to be able to get past the Unable to decode this format message as soon as I select an Audible file, even if I just want to drag it to the iPhone.

If I can't, then I'm going to have to rethink how I ditch iTunes, heigh-ho.
kopo

Post by kopo »

Windows Media Player can supposedly play .aa files.
blopplop

Audible.Com

Post by blopplop »

Will MM ever be able to play audio books from Audible.com? Since recovering from a system crash I have found that I'm now unable to load Audible books on to my Ipod using ITunes. MM and Itunes fight over the control of my Ipod. I hate Itunes and wish I could just bypass it and use MM to load Audible books on to my device. MM is all I use for loading mp3's and podcasts on to my Ipod. I just can't use it for the Audible ones.

Dave
rivorson

Re: Audible.Com

Post by rivorson »

Very unlikely. Audible's files are crippled by DRM which is designed to prevent you from using the files you've purchased in anything other than the Audible player.
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_ ... management

Personally I only buy audiobooks from https://www.downpour.com. They don't place any restrictions on how you listen to your audiobooks.
blopplop

Post by blopplop »

Thank you for the resource. I'll go check it out. :)

I've been an Audible member for over 15 years. I'm tired of fiddling with trying to get their stuff to play on various devices. A change sounds good.

Dave
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Another way is that Audible Make their own Input plugin, MMW is open enough and gave developers tools to make that happen and integrate .aa into MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
sallenmd87

Post by sallenmd87 »

Managing Audible books is the only thing I use iTunes for anymore, and that's only to store versions on my computer as backups. I download and listen on my iPhone using the Audible App.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Have you tried to contact them and propose the idea?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts