Media Tree not updating

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

daztrue

Media Tree not updating

Post by daztrue »

Noticed last year that Media Tree didn't update when I added 2 downloaded Bon Jovi albums to library, though existing Bon Jovi albums were listed and new ones displayed on main screen.

Recently imported Eddy Grant album which produced same results, though as this is only listing for him, he isn't listed on Media Tree.

Have just ripped a Now album, again with same results, but noticed that album was listed after ripped, yet when I updated it with artwork both it and artists associated with album disappeared from Media Tree. This can't be an artwork issue though, as the aforementioned occurred before dealing with artwork.

I also noticed that metadata associated with these albums, such as artists, composers etc. isn't being listed under their respective node.

I noticed today that all of the aforementioned albums were randomly listing on the main screen when clicking on Bon Jovi or Various Artists on the Media Tree.

I updated to the latest version of MMW today, which made no difference, and since the problem began I've run Maintain Library... countless times. PLEASE HELP! :(
Lowlander

Re: Media Tree not updating

Post by Lowlander »

Have you run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization recently? Also where (exactly) in the Media Tree are you looking?
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Lowlander wrote:Have you run File > Maintain Library with complete optimization recently?
Every time. Makes no difference.
Lowlander wrote: Also where (exactly) in the Media Tree are you looking?
Typically in Artists & Album Artists, but as I mentioned, I've noticed metadata relating to these albums missing elsewhere, such as titles under the Albums node.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does collapse/expand of the node resolve the problem?
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Lowlander wrote:Does collapse/expand of the node resolve the problem?
No, tried that many times, as well as clicking on different artist, node etc.

Thought may have been to do with options for scanning library as since last year only had continuous selected. Ticked option for when opening database as well, though irrelevant. Attempted scanning specific directory (Eddy Grant) even though already a sub-directory of selected media share. Resulted in cached DLNA/UPnP for that album being added. Deleted from library and updated DLNA/UPnP database.

Installed another Now album yesterday (Now 90) which, after first disc, displayed in Media Tree, then after second disc, only second disc was visible in Media Tree whereas whole album could be seen correctly on main screen after clicking on Various Artists. I then added the artwork to the whole album and it disappeared from the Media Tree.

The two aforementioned Bon Jovi albums, Eddy Grant and now two Now albums are still randomly displaying when clicking on Bon Jovi or Various Artists.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

daztrue wrote: Resulted in cached DLNA/UPnP for that album being added. Deleted from library and updated DLNA/UPnP database.
What does that mean? Are you seeing things through a Media Server? Please explain your setup in detail and add screenshots to clarify.
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

No, not accessing via media server. However, DLNA issue in question was a result of importing via clicking on media server path rather than direct path to NAS. Other symptoms regarding Media Tree still to be resolved. Nothing to do with setup as I used another MM.db in another account today with almost identical setup, added some albums (including some of those mentioned) to library, all without issue.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

daztrue wrote:Nothing to do with setup as I used another MM.db in another account today with almost identical setup, added some albums (including some of those mentioned) to library, all without issue.
That seems to confirm my suspicion that the database may have some corruption.
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Lowlander wrote:That seems to confirm my suspicion that the database may have some corruption.
Any suggestions on how to resolve? Would removing and attempting albums in question again be likely to help? If not, how can it be rectified.
rivorson

Post by rivorson »

This may be related.

I have a collection for imported videos based on file path, which is set to be hidden when there are no tracks in the collection. The collection does not show up in the Media Tree when I import a video in the relevant folder. It only shows up when I go to Options --> Media Tree and check the criteria. I then tag the videos and move them out of the folder, and therefore out of the collection. If I move the files from any node other than the Import collection (e.g. from an autoplaylist of recently added files) then the collection stays visible even though it is now empty.

Could it be that certain events don't trigger an update of the media tree, or that an update is limited to a particular scope?
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Interesting, though I don't think I have anything that complicated set up (though keen to know how). As far as I can recall most settings under Options > Media Tree are default and I only use MM for audio.

I just thought of a possible (though not definite) occurrence with one or both of the Bon Jovi albums I imported last year. I suspect that on at least one occasion I may have dragged the album directory (whilst not in the library but viewing in Media Tree under HDD node) to the path of my library files on my NAS, rather than editing path within Properties. Even though Properties shows the path of the current location on NAS, could this result in not being added to library, and if so, why should that affect subsequent albums definitely imported correctly?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As you've run Maintain Library there is nothing else to do if a database corruption is the source of the problem.
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Lowlander wrote:As you've run Maintain Library there is nothing else to do if a database corruption is the source of the problem.
What if it isn't corruption? And could my previous post be of relevance?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Scanning wouldn't be affected by what you did.
daztrue

Post by daztrue »

Thought I'd found solution, though it may shed some light. After initially ensuring that Options > Library > File Monitor, Continuous option was unticked for safety of test, I deleted one of Bon Jovi albums (Bounce) from library, closed MM, opened again and after automatic start-up scan it was listed in Media Tree. Followed same process for remainder of aforementioned albums, after which, they were listed but Bounce was gone again from Media Tree.

Eventually deleted all albums in question at once, then after scan Nows and Eddy Grant albums were listed under Bon Jovi. I right-clicked on one in Media Tree and selected Remove, then cancelled command, at which point said albums disappeared (along with the two Bon Jovi albums in question) from Bon Jovi in Media Tree.

Is there no possibility other than corruption, and if not, will simply scanning my files from a new database lose any data?