MM cannot see network locations since upgrade to 4.1.7.1741

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

F1nchy

MM cannot see network locations since upgrade to 4.1.7.1741

Post by F1nchy »

Hi guys

Since upgrading to the latest version last week my MM can no longer see any of my network locations other than my routers.

I usually use the node My Computer > Network > Workgroup_name > and then the path of my network share to move and tidy up my music files through MM, but since the update MM can no longer see any of the network devices to allow me to do this. They are all still visible in Windows (I have four Windows devices and a Synology Nas on the same workgroup).

All my music is on a network share and, whilst it does play them most of the time if I try, on occasions it show no tracks available at all unless I close MM and restart it, and often it seems to be re-adding the stuff back in as it's lost it.

I also have it set to always monitor the network shares for new and changed files, so since the update I'm having to keep running the File > Add/rescan files to the library.

It's more of a pain for me at the moment as I am in the process of reorganising my music files, so I'm having to keep re-adding the ones in the new location and deleting the ones in the old location as it's not 'seeing' them move in the way it previously did, which also impacts on playcounts, etc.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I've tried turning off the Windows firewall but that doesn't make any difference so I don't think it's that.

I'm on MM Gold if that makes any difference.
Lowlander

Re: MM cannot see network locations since upgrade to 4.1.7.1

Post by Lowlander »

Common problem, no solution. Scanning into the Library is still possible by typing the Path in File > Add/Rescan Files.
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Ah, thanks Lowlander, at least it's not just me then!

Yes, I keeps that path and that's the default one when I select Add/scan.

When you say known problem, it's just a known problem with this release? So presumably will be resolved at some point.

It certainly worked previously.

Think I may roll it back to the last update as that one was fine for me.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

This has been a long standing issue. There's no solution, only the above mentioned workaround.
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Strange. I've gone back to the previous version (MediaMonkey_4.1.6.1736) and it can see those network drive again.
Barry4679

Post by Barry4679 »

F1nchy wrote:I usually use the node My Computer > Network > Workgroup_name > and then the path of my network share to move and tidy up my music files through MM, but since the update MM can no longer see any of the network devices to allow me to do this. They are all still visible in Windows (I have four Windows devices and a Synology Nas on the same workgroup).

All my music is on a network share and, whilst it does play them most of the time if I try, on occasions it show no tracks available at all unless I close MM and restart it, and often it seems to be re-adding the stuff back in as it's lost it.
Lowlander wrote:This has been a long standing issue. There's no solution, only the above mentioned workaround.
Lowlander I don't understand your response. I see that the OP has reverted to 4.1.6 due to it.

I am on the (latest) version that he was on, and don't see the problem he was reporting. I make regular use of the MM MyComputer|Network node, and have no problem with it.

Neither do I have an issue with MM losing tracks from its database and re-adding them. I would notice the change in track or album ID if this was happening.

Do you have a link to a thread where this problem is better described or a Mantis entry?
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Plenty of threads on this. It isn't an issue for all users, but it's a known issue without resolution. I've experienced it myself before (it works with 4.1.8 for me).
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Lowlander - previously under the My Computer node I could drill down through Network > Microsoft Windows Network > Workgroup and under the Workgroup it listed all the network computers - four Windows devices and one linux based NAS. My music is located on a network share on the linux based NAS (Synology).

After the update it no longer displays this, and instead displays my two routers only.

It did work before, certainly for me, as I used it a lot recently, and it also displayed it as it should when I rolled back to the previous version of MediaMonkey.

I can't find any threads that have the same problem - would you mind pointing me to some please, as I'm not sure it's the same thing you're thinking of.

Thanks
F1nchy

Post by F1nchy »

Ah, I've got it. It wasn't a MediaMonkey issue, it was a rogue Windows patch that caused the problem.

I looked through my Windows updates and there was one updated last week, update KB3035583, when the problem started.

I googled it to see what it was for, and as soon as I uninstalled it and refreshed the network it showed all my devices again.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/292260 ... 35583.html
http://www.infoworld.com/article/290300 ... 35583.html
I couldn't figure out why Microsoft was releasing an optional patch entitled "Update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 SP1" and describing it with only a brief blurb:
This update enables additional capabilities for Windows Update notifications when new updates are available to the user. It applies to a computer that is running Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1).

That's the entire explanation we've received from Microsoft to date.
So Microsoft released that patch without any real explanation of what it does and, one thing it does do is seem to knacker up the finding of Windows devices (my linux NAS and media player, my printer) for certain applications.

Thanks a bunch, Microsoft. :evil:
ezw63

Post by ezw63 »

Same issue here with 4.1.8.1751, luckily resolved by reverting to version 4.1.5.1719
Strangly enough version 4.1.4.1709 also reveales this issue.