No sound on some downsampled MP3 files...

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Glen

No sound on some downsampled MP3 files...

Post by Glen »

Hello!

OK, the WinXP issues (access violations) have ceased, which is a good thing. Now, I seem to have another issue. I downsampled a collection of songs from 256k bit rate to 160k. 3 of the 13 songs play without sound. That is to say that they seem to be the right size, and they report and play the correct amount of time, but they contain no music or any other kind of sound. They are silent MP3 files. :)

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

I'm running WinXP Pro with all patches on an AMD K6-III@550MHz with 384MB ram. Not a very fast computer, but a pretty decent work horse.
- Glen
jiri

Post by jiri »

The problem can be in Songs-DB's default plug-in for MP3s, which uses internal Windows decoding routines. Because Songs-DB uses WinAmp compatible plug-ins, you can download some other from WinAmp's site or even the one distributed with WinAmp, copy it to Plugins directory and rename in_dsmp3.dll for example to in_dsmp3.off. Then you will see, if the problem is in this.

Jiri
Glen

Post by Glen »

OK, I've switched out the plugin with the one that comes with WinAmp and I'll try the downsample again. I also found that some of the information in the database (bit rate, etc.) was off on a few songs.

Does this have something to do with that plugin as well?
- Glen
jiri

Post by jiri »

Plug-ins can currently influence only playback (as they do in WinAmp), so you can test if the WinAmp's (in_mp3.dll) plays well those problematic files. It won't change anything else. In the future plug-ins will solve all these audio related tasks.

Jiri