MM on XP Pentium III 900 500 MB RAM? Can I?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

windguy

MM on XP Pentium III 900 500 MB RAM? Can I?

Post by windguy »

Hello monkeys. No way to make a short story long - I'll do my best. Aging user - not that savvy and I know it. Son zapped XP off my Atom based netbook and installed Ubuntu with ...?? media player. It ended up choking my poor little Atom processor. His last visit - he replaced the media player with Audacity. Well,it shuffles my 400 gb FLAC collection but Audacity doesn't even sort by genre - so - I'm bummed - and he's 2000 miles away again. Dug out old T22 Think Pad to salvage photos etc (another long story). That old dog fired right up.

Here's the plan: Trash the netbook. Resurrect the T22 (clean the screen - shake crumbs out of keyboard - wipe all unnecessary stuff of HD etc). Use external HD with FLAC collection. Download MM to desktop - transfer to thumb drive - load on T22 - get back in action.

So, can I use MM with T22 Pentium III 900 (I think it has 500 MB RAM - been awhile)?

Sorry - can't afford new toys right now - getting gimpy and wimpy - save my energy for giving the VA the finger. (I know - the smart guy would have left XP on the Atom netbook - the curse of relying on tech-savvy kids).
Peke

Re: MM on XP Pentium III 900 500 MB RAM? Can I?

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You can try, I think it should work if you install it as portable, remove all VIS, DSP and D_ Plugins, start NON Skinned version and see how things go.

There is big big posibility that it will choke. I would suggest that you find some free app to disable 99% of Services and clean system completely. in order to make it work. Also I would not connect it to internet as in order to preserve sos so functionality you need to strip it off with all security and just use raw power.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
windguy

Post by windguy »

Thanks for the second set of eyes. At this point, I don't have much to lose. Audacity works great if I want to shuffle my entire library. Something about James Brown following up Mahler just ain't right. I'll give the old IBM a cleanse. It's old enough to not have a wifi built-in, so that should keep it safe from XP trolls.

Thanks again.
jc836

Post by jc836 »

Just a thought - why not use an older version of MM such as 2.5. At least it was written when resources for running it were more towards XP and earlier.
Retired Broadcast Recording Engineer
Oldies are our main Genre. YES-we listen to Country and a few others too!
windguy

Post by windguy »

Are the older ca. 2.5 versions of MM still download-able? It's a good idea - I'm not a power user.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

I wouldn't use version 2 but I use mm 3 on my xp pent 3 is fast enough for it get more ram xp can see 2gbs of ram but make sure that the motherboard can see at least that much. If not feasible to do that at this time then add swap file to all hard drives and double the size on the c drive.