Collections, Auto-Organize, and Masks

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

inpariswithyou

Collections, Auto-Organize, and Masks

Post by inpariswithyou »

Here is my situation:

I track several different types of files in Media Monkey:

Music: standard fare -- artist, album artist, album, track#, title, etc.
Movies: actual films I download -- title, year
TV Shows: actual TV shows I download -- series, episode#, title
Home Videos: anything that is a video and isn't something you'd see on TV or in the theaters -- studio, title, actors

Once I've adjusted the metadata to my liking, I rename them based on various masks -- one for music, one for movies, one for TV shows, and one for videos. I can do this manually, although it's really cumbersome, having to select the right mask from a dropdown of all the previous masks, even if they differ by only a space or a punctuation mark.

I've tried using auto-organize during scans and edits based on collections, but I don't want the renaming to happen until *after* I've verified the metadata is correct. So I tried using a special flag in the Quality dropdown to determine collections, but something terrible happened somewhere along the way and renamed EVERYTHING according to one (broken) mask, and I had 30,000 files to fix manually. It was a nightmare.

So, what I'm wondering: Is there any way to *name* the masks we use for Auto-Organizing files? Or is there some way to *assure* that the auto-organizing during scans and edits adheres to the collection rules we design? Because if I have to fix 30k files again, I may just delete them all and become a digital ascetic. And nobody wants that!
Lowlander

Re: Collections, Auto-Organize, and Masks

Post by Lowlander »

No, you can't name Masks.
inpariswithyou

Re: Collections, Auto-Organize, and Masks

Post by inpariswithyou »

Any insight into the rampant renaming from the collections?