Curious Album Artwork feature???

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

nsd3

Curious Album Artwork feature???

Post by nsd3 »

There’s a feature or function that appears whenever you view your music collection in either “Show Art” or “Show Art With Details”.
As you can see from the screenshot of some albums by Bruce Springsteen, if you look carefully at the top left corner of some of the album artwork (e.g. ‘Born In The USA’) you’ll see a small arrow pointing down at around 45 degrees, followed by a letter and a number in brackets. (Scroll past image for next text.)

I’ve worked out the single letter relates to the first letter of the title of the album, and the bracketed number refers to the number of albums which appear to be defined as a group. Again looking at the screenshot, ‘Born In The USA’ is a grouping of one album, but the album below - ‘Darkness On the Edge Of Town’ has a grouping of two. Again, I’ve worked out that where the grouping number is greater than one, it encompasses the albums below it up to and including that number.
The third album down, ‘Devils & Dust’ has no such strange notation above it, as it belongs to the group including ‘Darkness On The Edge Of Town’ - hence the group number total of two.
Now if you click on that little arrow, it shrinks the album group down to just a single line as shown in the next screenshot. (Scroll past image for next text.)

My question is, what attribute of the track metadata is controlling this? I’ve looked through the individual track properties and can’t find anything that is causing this behaviour. Anyone know why this happens? It’s not an issue, and doesn’t seem to affect anything, but I’m curious to know what this is.

I'm a newbie to this forum, so apologies if this has been answered before. I did search but couldn't find the answer.

Regards to all!
Lowlander

Re: Curious Album Artwork feature???

Post by Lowlander »

Grouping is by first letter of Album (as that's what's sorted on). So a Group contains all Albums with that first letter.
Barry4679

Re: Curious Album Artwork feature???

Post by Barry4679 »

nsd3 wrote: My question is, what attribute of the track metadata is controlling this? I’ve looked through the individual track properties and can’t find anything that is causing this behaviour. Anyone know why this happens? It’s not an issue, and doesn’t seem to affect anything, but I’m curious to know what this is.
You can see the function easier if you use View|ShowArt menu option. The number just shows you how many items (albums) there are when the node is closed (click the thing that you called an arrow).

As Lowlander said, it not being produced by the metadata. You control the grouping by clicking on one of the column headings (Album, Genre, Rating etc)
Want a dark skin for MM5? This is the one that works best for me .. elegant, compact & clear.