Update / Code 5 Error

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

fscout

Update / Code 5 Error

Post by fscout »

Hey,

i am having a Gold lifetime licence and i am currently trying to update on the latest MM version.
Unfortunately, on and on iI receive the Code 5 Error. No Access to MediaMonkey.exe.

I tried to:
- restart the computer and restart installation
- Check for running Mediamonkey service and stop it
- unlock the MMhelper.dll

Unfortunately, nothing of above works.
Anybody has another idea what to do?
Lowlander

Re: Update / Code 5 Error

Post by Lowlander »

Restart the PC, stop the service then install: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ror-code-5

You can ignore the error on MMHelper.dll as it hasn't been updated recently.
MarkAU

Re: Update / Code 5 Error

Post by MarkAU »

In my case, maybe many such cases, the solution was very simple, but took a while to find.
After you start the installation and permit the UAC changes, then close File Explorer BEFORE proceeding with the installation.
The program that was locking the installation directory was File Explorer itself (from which I initiated the install by double clikcing the installation .exe).
I've never experienced this problem in earlier versions of MM, nor with other program installations.
I only discovered this by using Lockhunter (link in knowledgebase article linked from Lowlander's answer here.)

I recommend the Knowledgebase article be updated:
a) to mention the closing of File Explorer before proceeding with the installation, and
b) Windows Media Player is a WIndows Feature that can be turned on or off, not uninstalled and reinstalled.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro and was updating MM from 4.1.8 to 4.1.10.