randon play but "never played" first

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

johandd

randon play but "never played" first

Post by johandd »

Is it possible to play a playlist, but give the "least played songs" advance to the ones already played a lot?
MMFrLife

Re: randon play but "never played" first

Post by MMFrLife »

You want it to favor the least played songs during playback?
You could order them based on the "played #" column, maybe.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Although, that wouldn't be random. :-?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
bgibbard

Post by bgibbard »

I use an AutoPlaylist with two conditions. The first one has the property Status, condition "is accessible". (in case some of your music is on a removable drive that might not be attached all the time)
The second one has the property Type, condition "doesn't equal", value Video. (unless of course you do also want videos as well as music)

Then I add two sorts, the first one has property Played #, and order A..Z
The second one, has property Random, Order A..Z

In that way the files with no plays come first, and are randomized within that cohort, then come files played only once, again randomized within their cohort, and so on.

However if you are truly interested only in files that have never been played, as opposed to those that have been played only once or twice add a new condition above the two I gave above, with property Played #, condition =, value 0 and never played are the only ones that will show up are the ones that have never been played. In that case you could also remove the first of my two sorts as it would be redundant if every track has a playcount of zero.
Eyal

Post by Eyal »

That's a very good explanation, Bgibbard.

I made an auto-playlist as you guided and it's working like a charm.
I even added a genre and rating=5* to the conditions and it made me listen to forgotten songs I like, that I've not listen since many years (I have a large library).

Thank you to let me discover that "Random" property. Mediamonkey is more powerful than we think, even after more than 10 years using it, I'm still amazed.

Cheers.

Eyal
Last edited by Eyal on Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].
johandd

Post by johandd »

bgibbard wrote:I use an AutoPlaylist with two conditions. The first one has the property Status, condition "is accessible". (in case some of your music is on a removable drive that might not be attached all the time)
you need gold mediamonkey for that?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, AutoPlaylists is a Gold feature.
bgibbard

Post by bgibbard »

Eyal wrote:That's a very good explanation, Bgibbard.

I made an auto-playlist as you guided and it's working like a charm.
I even added a genre and rating=5* to the conditions and it made me listen to forgotten songs I like, that I've not listen since many years (I have a large library).

Thank you to let me discover that "Random" property. Mediamonkey is more powerful than we think, even after more than 10 years using it, I'm still amazed.

Cheers.

Eyal
Good! I'm glad it works for you. I should add that as a classical music listener, used to works with several movements on different tracks I normally don't actually play that AutoPlayist as is, because I would get a grotesque mix of random bits of classical music interspersed with the smaller amounts of popular music I occasionally listen to. What I do is use the list to pick an album from the first item on the list that comes up, and then select the entire album to play rather than just a random track, as it would be very weird to hear movements of a string quartet interspersed with bits of Jethro Tull, Tori Amos and Pink!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Eyal

Post by Eyal »

bgibbard wrote:What I do is use the list to pick an album from the first item on the list that comes up, and then select the entire album to play rather than just a random track
The PlayAlbum script can be useful in these cases:: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =2&t=39582
Though I don't know if it will work with MM4.
Skins for MediaMonkey: Cafe, Carbon, Helium, Spotify, Zekton. [ Wiki Zone ].