Newbie Problems

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

jefftix.jt

Newbie Problems

Post by jefftix.jt »

Please be patient folks....

As suggested, I downloaded the free version to kick the tires.

I already knew I had problems in iTunes which is why I searched out MediaMonkey.

I pulled everything in from iTunes. Here is what is happening:

1. Some songs will not play. No sound, but the time bar below thinks something is going on.
2. Some songs have the title only. I think that is a problem I brought over from iTunes; I may need to re-rip a depressing number of CD's.

I just wanted to check in with the more experienced users in case I was doing something stupid and failed to recognize the fix.

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Lowlander

Re: Newbie Problems

Post by Lowlander »

1) What file type(s) are affected. Does their file size indicate audio should be present? Have you tried to play the same file in a different player? See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... -corrupted
2) Re-ripping may be overkill (unless if you want to improve rip quality). You need to tag the files. Depending on your folder/filename structure you may be able to use Tools > Auto-Tag from Filename. If your file structure is too messy or lacks information you may still be able to use Tools > Auto-Tag from Web per Album. It will require at least Album Artist or Album to be know, both being best.
jefftix.jt

Post by jefftix.jt »

It seems like a mix of files. MP3 and MP4. I need to look this problem over. I need to see if I can find a pattern in 14,000 + songs.

At the risk of sounding like a fool, by TAG, do mean file type? I am no techy, just a music lover, and I will learn what I need to learn in order to make this work.

By exploring, I already know MediaMoney is vastly superior to iTunes. I just need to get up to speed without driving you folks crazy.

Another question: Should I go to gold now, or wait until I solve all of these problems?

Thank you in advance for your time.
jefftix.jt

Post by jefftix.jt »

Sorting by size, I see that some of these files are little more than titles. There is no way these could be song files.
jefftix.jt

Post by jefftix.jt »

Error message: MediaMonkey is unable to decode this format.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

jefftix.jt@gmail.com wrote:Error message: MediaMonkey is unable to decode this format.
What file type is showing that?
For types like mp4, m4a, mkv, etc. you'll likely need a codec that will play them. MM has a codec pack (search add-ons tab atop
forum page) and there are free ones like K-Lite

File tagging uses fields like Title, Album Artist, Artist, Album, etc. and are embedded to the file itself. The Type field is an MM metadata id only.
Try inputting the Title info in the Title field for the ones that are missing the info.

As far as file sizes, how large are you talking about on the few problem files you speak of? If they are very small and don't play, they are probably
the result of download errors or error during a copying process.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜