Track Order is Not Ordering Correctly

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

caffeine

Track Order is Not Ordering Correctly

Post by caffeine »

Album is Dio's "Holy Diver". I ordered the listing by Album.

The track ordering is mostly correct but something weird is happening -- the tracks are ordered as:

1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 9, 2, 8

I've played around with the interface. This weird ordering consistently happens, and when I order the listing by Track #, the order is correct.

Why is MM doing this?

MaximusPrime

Re: Track Order is Not Ordering Correctly

Post by MaximusPrime »

Make sure the tag #disc is set correctly to the whole album
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

The ordering scheme in MM is typically "Album Artist" first. Even if that field already looks the same and in order, just click on that column first
and see what you get. You may need to click on it more than once to toggle between ascending and descending.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
๐Ÿ˜œ
Peke

Post by Peke »

From above pic after sorting by Album you should use CTRL+CLICK on Track# column and sort albums by Track Number as secondary sort order.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

MaximusPrime wrote:Make sure the tag #disc is set correctly to the whole album
This is something I'm not familiar with -- is there a tagging system in MM other than mp3ids? Where does one set #disc?
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

MMFrLife wrote:The ordering scheme in MM is typically "Album Artist" first. Even if that field already looks the same and in order, just click on that column first
and see what you get. You may need to click on it more than once to toggle between ascending and descending.
It wasn't the issue here (AA and Artist are both set to Dio), but this is a really good thing to know. Thank you!!!

Sorting on AA is definitely the right thing to do (if the files are tagged correctly). I should be exposing AA as well as Artist. Thank you for mentioning this!
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

Peke wrote:From above pic after sorting by Album you should use CTRL+CLICK on Track# column and sort albums by Track Number as secondary sort order.

This did the trick. Thank you for mentioning this. But two followup questions --

First, MM usually does the right thing. The Dio example is notable because it's one of the only times I've seen track order not correct when viewing multiple albums. Is this just dumb coincidence? Or is there a rational explanation why Track is *usually* (but not always) ordered when viewing multiple albums?

And second, shouldn't "secondary order on track" be a default? I usually don't like generalizing, but it seems like most people, when ordering on some key, would want Track to be a secondary order key.

Thank you for the reply. I'm really happy to see Dio put back into numerical order! :-)
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

So, "album artist" alone doesn't work?
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
๐Ÿ˜œ
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Album sort is Album > Album Artist > Disc# >Track#. This takes care of multi-disc Albums as well as Albums with the same name from different Artists (like Greatest Hits).

If Albums show sorted incorrectly it almost always is a tagging issue. Sometimes it can be a database corruption issue or a bug.
caffeine

Post by caffeine »

Lowlander wrote:Album sort is Album > Album Artist > Disc# >Track#. This takes care of multi-disc Albums as well as Albums with the same name from different Artists (like Greatest Hits).
You are my hero, and this explains everything.

It turns out that Disc# was blank for the whole album except for 2 and 8, where Disk# was set to "1/1". Everything is good now.

OK, this was a very good lesson for me, and I learned from the experience, thanks! The sort order is a very specific piece of trivia. How did you know about it? Did you have a similar problem? I can't picture reading the docs and making a mental note of the column sort field order!
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Kudos to MaximusPrime as well, as he hit the nail right on the head.

I assumed you had the Disc# set as well.
I usually just use the Album Artist because multi-disc set ordering isn't an issue with me as I consecutive order the tracks on all sets,
then I keep a record of the original order at the end of the track. I also don't have tons of greatest hits albums. I just forgot about all that.

Anyway, glad you got it working :).
I don't believe I've ever seen it written somewhere on the site other than being mentioned in posts.
I just figured the ctrl thing out myself, back in the day.
๐Ÿ˜œ