What is Mediamonkey COM Elevator?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

McVitas

Re: What is Mediamonkey COM Elevator?

Post by McVitas »

I managed to find a workaround:
- force quit Media Monkey via task manager
- then the COM elevator dialogue may start to respond to mose click so you can click yes
- start media monkey again and the prompt appears again but this time does not freeze and yes can be clicked
And the third time you start the app it does not ask for this anymore
Peke

Post by Peke »

There is nothing wrong with COM elevator.It is simple a prompt notifying user that some application is accessing system resource and would you like to allow it or not.

MMW portable installation do not access those system resources and should not have COM prompt.

Normal Installation in order to announce itself to a system and make scripting engine available to other apps on windows NEED to write to known System Resources in order to allow other apps access MMW resources.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
McVitas

Post by McVitas »

I am sorry Mr developer, but you may want to read the actual opening post (or the last post at lease!) before replying nonsense... if it was not freezing then people would not complain.
McVitas

Post by McVitas »

Sorry, It was actually said in this thread
Ramrunner

Post by Ramrunner »

McVitas wrote:Sorry, It was actually said in this thread
Problem for me with that elevation prompt is that the kid's computers are parental locked using Microsoft Family so every time they want to listen to some music I have to actually trundle over and put in my password to allow it to do it's thing.

I would be overly happy with a simple tick box to simply disable the file association thing but alas not that easy.

Although I understand the developers are not directly responsible for it, they DO need to make it easy to prevent it from coming up all the time. This mucking around with .ini files archaic. This is not 1995 any more.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Why don't you simply just install MMW as portable Into C:\MMWPortable and make shortcut for all of them on Desktop?

Copy your MM.DB from Users folder to C:\MMWPortable\Portable and you are set and go.
Best regards,
Peke
garretwilson

Post by garretwilson »

I just updated Windows 10 Pro 64-bit to version 1803.

Now MediaMonkey is showing me this COM elevator nonsense.

I have oodles and oodles of software installed on my machine. Not one of them, other than MediaMonkey, asks me for special COM elevator permissions.

Please remove this from Media Monkey. I shouldn't have to wade through this just to start the program. Moreover, MediaMonkey doesn't explain why it is performing COM elevation, and why it is requesting these special permissions.

It's also irritating that MediaMonkey installs all sorts of drive detection settings to watch drives whenever I add a new drive or insert media. It should ask first, and the default should be "no".

Now how do I get rid of this "COM elevator" message? Why haven't you disabled it by default already?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
COM elevator message is System message by User Access Control that can't be disabled by MMW.

Have you tried to install portable version of MediaMonkey (Select portable during Install process) into c:\MMWtemp and see if it throws COM msgs?
Best regards,
Peke
mikmue

Workaround: Win 10 and UACElevator at every start of MM

Post by mikmue »

Hi there!

This is my first post and maybe this helps someone (I found no duplicate post regarding Win 10 and UAC)

Issue:
When I start MM 4 on Win 10 with a User account, I get asked every time by the UACElevator for my admin PW. I have to deny it, even though MM starts and works without more problems afterwards.

Solution:
Start MM with your user rights and let your admin enter his PW once. But do not change the language in the settings. If you do, close MM and then open it again, UAC requires you to enter the admin PW again.

When I experimented with this issue I once had a different behavior: I started MM, was asked by UAC, admin entered PW and I changed language, BUT did not have to enter the UAC again. To 'make sure' the issue came up I had to reboot my system. Weird.

System:
Win 10 x64 1809 with MM 4.1.23.1881. I'm sorry, but I can't remember, when it the issue began (which MM or Win 10 release. [perhaps half a year?])

Other forum member suggested
a) changing the file type associations
b) disabling MM setting to overwrite Windows' standard design
c) enabling 'Run as administrator'. For security reasons I can't do that. (That and other compatibility measures where always off.)

Those hints didn't help in my case.
Schinah

Post by Schinah »

The root cause of my problem may be COM elevator related.

Using MM since many years I never had OS related problems. After the recent Windows 10 upgrade (cleaning 1903) I had to reinstall MM v.4.1.25 again. Testing the reinstalled version, MM didn't load anymore my music archive. The directory scan of the system drive only showed system related folders. Seems that MM is hiding any user related folders, like user names, documents, music etc. on which I still have access by MS explorer view.
Editing MediaMonkey.ini (under [Options] set "AssocExts=") had no effect. For users the interaction between MM and OS is not transparent at all.

Before downgrading Win 10 again to the initial version I hope to get some applicable hints in this forum.
Dace

Post by Dace »

I went into the MediaMonkey directory and neutralized the MediaMonkeyCOM.exe file (changed its name so the software won't recognize it).

No more pop-up window. No noticeable problems with Media Monkey.