Partially separate profile?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

UksusoFF

Partially separate profile?

Post by UksusoFF »

It's possible to run instances of portable MediaMonkey with separate current playlist, last.fm profile but with common library with saved playlists and track ratings?
UksusoFF

Re: Partially separate profile?

Post by UksusoFF »

UksusoFF wrote:It's possible to run instances of portable MediaMonkey with separate current playlist, last.fm profile but with common library with saved playlists and track ratings?
I used /INIFILE cli argument for switch between last.fm profiles but it's not restore windows positions and toolbars configurations. Any way to solve this?

UPD: Probably it's a related bug: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=12739

How can we save now playing playlist when switch profile?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can tell different MediaMonkey's to use the same database just as with the regular install: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e-location
UksusoFF

Post by UksusoFF »

Lowlander wrote:You can tell different MediaMonkey's to use the same database just as with the regular install: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... e-location
I haven't issues with database. This works fine. But what with now playing playlist and toolbar positions?

I have two [Appearance] sections in ini file and several [Tab0UID] with System=46805343. It's normal?

If copy default "\MediaMonkey\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini" file to new path and run with /INIFILE="\MediaMonkey\Portable\MediaMonkey_ProfileName.ini" all toolbars will be place. All settings will be stored to "\MediaMonkey\Portable\MediaMonkey_ProfileName.ini". But if delete default "\MediaMonkey\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini" all toolbars settings are lost.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You asked if different Portable Installs can use the same database, that is possible with the above link. This would keep all other settings independent.
UksusoFF

Post by UksusoFF »

Lowlander wrote:You asked if different Portable Installs can use the same database, that is possible with the above link. This would keep all other settings independent.
No other way with one portable installation with various MediaMonkey.ini and mediamonkey.m3u8?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As far as I know you can only tell MediaMonkey to use a specific ini and a specific database, not a specific Now Playing or Registry.
NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

As long as you don't expect this to work with both instances running at the same time, no reason you couldn't simulate this with renaming files.

Take the ini, and m3u8 files etc. you want for one instance, and copy them to a different name.
Create the new files, and copy those to another different name.
Create a batch file that copies the files you want to use to the correct location, and calls MediaMonkey.exe

Once you understand where the different files are in the MediaMonkey portable structure, there is no limit to what you can do with this procedure.
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library
UksusoFF

Post by UksusoFF »

NewtonBoy wrote:Create a batch file that copies the files you want to use to the correct location, and calls MediaMonkey.exe
Yep, i thinking about this way but this looks not so good.

Also two portable installation not looks good. Because MediaMonkey Remote not works without COM-registration.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

One can be a regular install and one a Portable Install.
UksusoFF

Post by UksusoFF »

Lowlander wrote:One can be a regular install and one a Portable Install.
So we can't manage portable installation.

I not want run this at the same time. Probably .bat file it's better way. :oops:
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

UksusoFF wrote:So we can't manage portable installation.
What do you mean by that?
UksusoFF

Post by UksusoFF »

Lowlander wrote:
UksusoFF wrote:So we can't manage portable installation.
What do you mean by that?
Ouch i mean MMRemote.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

The regular install would.
NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

You should be able to run MMRemote with Media Monkey in Portable mode. Check the MMRemote forum.

I had a problem with extensions when I had to start over from scratch with Portable Mode instead of a regular install. As I recall, there was a command I had to enter through the Command Line to get it to work, but it's fine now. I hope you don't ask about that command, because I don't even remember what extension I had trouble with. I only had to do it once, but I only use Portable on one computer right now. I hope I can find it if I have trouble.

You'll like Portable Mode, I've had way fewer problems since I switched.
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library