Gapless Playback, NOT Remove Silence!

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JoeChinnici

Gapless Playback, NOT Remove Silence!

Post by JoeChinnici »

This is making me nuts. I want to be able to listen to an album as it should be heard, without glitches between tracks. When using the digital WASAPI plugin, or any other digital for that matter, the digital flow is interrupted between each and every track, which causes the audio receiver to have to lock onto the digital signal at the beginning of every track, causing this interruption in sound. I know that I can select "remove silence" and this will stop this issue, but I don't want to remove silence from the end of the track. If the artist put 5 seconds between two tracks, I want to hear it exactly that way. But if the artist put no time between tracks, or if one track literally plays right into the next track, I don't want the player interrupting that. The Android App has this capability. It allows you to select Gapless playback without removing silence. Why doesn't the actual MediaMonkey program also allow this capability.

PLEASE HELP!!
Peke

Re: Gapless Playback, NOT Remove Silence!

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Usually silence in tracks are either added in post production or by ripper application as By default in CD Red book there is 2s silence between each track. But again it depends on user preference.

Have you tried to lower crossfade value to 0.5 Seconds?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Thanks for responding. I appreciate the input.

Actually, the time between songs is very deliberate. Sometimes a producer will put 2 seconds between tracks, and other times he will put 7 seconds, and so on, depending on whether or not he'd like the listener to take a little ear break before hearing the next song.

Agreed, that when creating your own CD at home with a burning software, they give you the opportunity to insert seconds between each song, and usually it defaults to 2 seconds, you can always go in and modify it to whatever you'd like, for each and every song.

But to answer your question, I don't want to crossfade the tracks either. I really do want it exactly as the producer intended it. For example, I want to hear 6 seconds after Oh! Darlin' (on Abbey Road), before I Want You (She's So Heavy), but I want side 2 to be seemless, as it always has been. And I don't want to crossfade the tracks.

Thanks again.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Giving a little nudge. I'd still like to know how to listen to an album, to get the player to go from track to track without unloading the digital signal and having to reload it at the start of every song, without removing silence. Thanks.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is not possible as on your setting output would be initialized on each playback start.
Best regards,
Peke
Daytripper

Post by Daytripper »

Hello, In KODI there is an option to prevent digital receivers stop receiving sound and produce cuts between tracks.
It would be great if you put something similar in MM.
I just downloaded MM and I'm very satisfied.
Greetings.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Hi Daytripper, Yes, I agree completely. The thing is, this worked fine for me for many years. It is only recently that this is happening, and I haven't changed anything in my system. I am quite surprised that I'm being told that there is no way to listen to an album as it was intended, as thought this is normal. Oddly, Gapless Playback is available on the app, removing gaps between tracks (like when a live album is playing), without removing silence between tracks (like on a studio album). If the app has this feature, and the program used to have this feature, why has it been removed?

MediaMonkey, please address this. As a "Music Player", it must be able to play albums as they are intended, not they way MediaMonkey has decided they should be played.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

I am continuing to investigate this, as I am certain there is a way to address this. Here's what I just found, after messing with my receiver a bit. The digital output unloads as soon as there is silence on a track, NOT when the track ends. So, for example, if there is 5 seconds of silence at the end of a track, or in the middle of a track for for that matter, the digital signal stops, and the receivers has nothing to lock onto.

As soon as the audio starts again, the digital signal starts again, and it takes the receiver (ANY receiver) a short amount of time to lock onto the signal. This is why I am missing the first note of each song.

As long as Media Monkey is playing, the digital signal should never drop or unload, especially when there is silence. It should only unload when stop is pressed.

MediaMonkey, please address this. I've been using this program for many years, and this is a deal breaker for me. If I can't hear complete songs, including the first note of the song, I can't use this program anymore. That would be a terrible shame, because in every other aspect, it's the best. But lets face it, the reason we use it is to listen to music. If we can't do that, why bother. Please help.
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

SOLVED!!! But I don't understand it, and don't necessarily like the resolution.

So, after fighting with this for weeks and weeks, I finally decided to mess with the Exclusive Mode. I've always had WASAPI Output Plugin set to "Same As Source", as I didn't want any additional processing. However, as an experiment, I tried switching it to 192/24, and amazingly, it no longer drops the digital signal when silence plays. So now it plays perfectly, as it should, from track to track, without any glitches or space removal, or anything.

This makes NO sense to me, but I'll take it, as I have not been able to hear a sonic difference.

Thanks for the lack of support, MediaMonkey.
wader

Post by wader »

I just happened upon this topic, but wanted to note that your solution does not work on my PC through a Sound Blaster Z card, unfortunately.,

Although I would prefer true gapless, use of the "remove silence" option has been acceptable to me (and, I used to be a purist about gapless, FLAC, etc.)

Still, it seems odd that the developers can't at least simulate gapless if we want it - if they can essentially eliminate the gap between tracks under the "remove silence" option, why must they cause the electronic "bump" between tracks in all other cases?
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Thanks for responding, wader. Maybe if enough of us chime in, MediaMonkey will react.

In all honesty, I still get the bump between tracks on a live album or tracks that continue from one to the other. So it's definitely not perfect, but at least I no longer lose the first second or two of every track, so I am thrilled about that.

Sorry that my solution didn't work for you.
Peke

Post by Peke »

JoeChinnici wrote: Maybe if enough of us chime in, MediaMonkey will react.
We are watching you. Output of MediaMonkey can be certainly improve.
Best regards,
Peke
JoeChinnici

Post by JoeChinnici »

Peke wrote:
JoeChinnici wrote: Maybe if enough of us chime in, MediaMonkey will react.
We are watching you. Output of MediaMonkey can be certainly improve.
Thank you, MediaMonkey. I appreciate that.
JasonMowry

Post by JasonMowry »

I am a new MediaMonkey user transitioning from the Apple iTunes ecosystem after much frustration. Though there are many things that MediaMonkey appears to do well, this is an obvious problem. I'm am surprised and a little insulted by the replies by Peke - of course it is possible to have gapless playback. In fact, nearly every other player achieves this now, including iTunes for many years. If this wasn't an issue previously then it sounds like there is a bug in a recent release of MediaMonkey. Does anyone have an earlier version of MediaMonkey to confirm when this problem surfaced? Can anyone from the Ventis Media team confirm that there is a ticket for this issue and an estimate for when it will be addressed?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you elaborate a little what exact feature you are missing and I'll try to point you to bug# directly?

MM4 is limited to bit outdated output features, but for MMW 5 there is a number of features that more fluently enhance listening experience.

I'm an old DJ and clicks and artifacts are one of I hate when tracks transition from one track to another.
More like http://www.happymonkeying.com/xxxtest/D ... IX2000.mp3 or like http://www.happymonkeying.com/xxxtest/V ... ashup).mp3
Best regards,
Peke