iTunes (Windows) & MM

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

littlereg1

iTunes (Windows) & MM

Post by littlereg1 »

Okay, I've been through I don't know how many forum entries and I haven't been able to find what I need, so I'm appealing to the brains of this forum for help. The idea is to convert my iTunes "experience" to MediaMonkey, got it? I don't want to go down through the myriad of nit-picking and hair-splitting that I've seen here - the task is simple: I want to IMPORT my iTunes database into MM. There. That's it. No exceptions. No problems.

Already I'm seeing a raft of inconsistencies simply by browsing my music folders - missing artwork is the biggest, but there are others. I don't want to get into point-by-point topics because this means I will have to deal with issues for a long time, and with a 60K+ size library, all I want to know is if there's a way to DUPLICATE all of the metadata (including artwork) that I've entered into iTunes in MM. I'm willing to purchase the Gold version, if that's what it takes.

A true Import function means that the user is simply changing interfaces and losing no data...period. Everything should remain exactly the same, and this includes the ability to sync with iPhone. Can this product really meet the challenge?

Thanks.
Lowlander

Re: iTunes (Windows) & MM

Post by Lowlander »

The problem you face is that iTunes doesn't follow industry standards and thus doesn't save all information to the files. This means that other programs will have trouble reading this data from your files.

MediaMonkey can read somethings from iTunes (like Ratings), but not Artwork (due to iTunes proprietary method for storing this).
littlereg1

Post by littlereg1 »

Thank you for this honest reply. MediaMonkey is shown all over the Internet as an "alternative" to iTunes, and since iTunes has zillions of users and very few people are getting into the music library world by now without smartphones, the inference is that there are products out there that can migrate users from iTunes. I've offered Apple $500 to build me a legitimate version of iTunes, but so far, I've had no response.
Peke

Post by Peke »

NOTE: For latest iTunes version you also need to export library in XML in order to get correct info imported into MMW. To quote "Auto Export is Disabled due the stability issues"
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It's a shame, but not uncommon for monopolistic companies to defend those monopolies with non-standard implementations.
littlereg1

Post by littlereg1 »

Has anyone ever successfully migrated a large music library from iTunes to MM without having to spend countless hours redoing all of the 'proprietary' stuff? Has anyone every written a batch program that can identify and re-link the artwork? I'm serious about paying some money for this.
MaximusPrime

Post by MaximusPrime »

I don't know exactly how iTunes handles the Artwork, but I guess this script http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... f=2&t=8678 can re-link it
Wullail

Post by Wullail »

I converted from iTunes to Mediamonkey , unfortunately I had to rescan all my music CDs covers over the space of a week to be 100% sure they were correct.

But since I did that I've found it's well worth the effort to have the correct covers , even iTunes had it wrong on more than a few.
VladTepes

Post by VladTepes »

littlereg1 wrote:Thank you for this honest reply. MediaMonkey is shown all over the Internet as an "alternative" to iTunes, and since iTunes has zillions of users and very few people are getting into the music library world by now without smartphones, the inference is that there are products out there that can migrate users from iTunes.
It is an alternative to iTunes. It's not the same as iTunes.. thankfully.
You can certainly migrate your libraries etc from iTunes, it's just (as mentioned) that you cannot migrate EVERYTHING from them.
And that's nothing to do with MM and everything to do with the way Apple does business.

I hate Apple, for many reasons, and this is just one of them.
(I hate Microsoft for different reasons, but I digress..)

I suggest the best way of showing Apple that you don't like the way they do things is to take the effort to migrate to MM, dump iTunes, and never look back.
littlereg1 wrote:I've offered Apple $500 to build me a legitimate version of iTunes, but so far, I've had no response.
What ? A legitimate version? I'm confused as to what you want from them.
I'm also bemused by the fact that you'd think Apple would care about $500.