Moving MediaMonkey from one PC to another

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

simplemick

Moving MediaMonkey from one PC to another

Post by simplemick »

Hi,

My PC is on the way out, all my audio files are stored on a NAS drive. Can I export playlists etc from one to another, even just specific folders which contain info, audio paths would be the same I presume, The original PC will not be used again. Both are Windows 10 desktops.

TIA
Mike
MMFrLife

Re: Moving MediaMonkey from one PC to another

Post by MMFrLife »

There's this,
Moving_MM_to_a_new_computer

Back up the database and INI files first!

Location of files are as follows,
Knowledgebase wrote:Here are the default locations of these files:
MediaMonkey 4.x:

Windows 10 / 8.1 / 8 / 7 / Vista:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MediaMonkey\MetadataCache\
Windows XP:
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MediaMonkey.ini
C:\Documents and Settings\<USERNAME>\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MetadataCache
Portable Mode:
In the 'Portable' subdirectory of the location to which MediaMonkey was installed. e.g.
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MM.DB
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MediaMonkey.ini
<MediaMonkey Portable Install Folder>\Portable\MetadataCache\
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

Do you actually need to update the drive serial number when you're dealing with a NAS, though? Won't the NAS have the same serial number on both PCs? Or is the serial number something generated by Windows on each computer, and not something coming from the NAS drive itself?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Depends, if you're using a network Path to the files you're fine, you can move MediaMonkey's database as much as you want without any updating required, but if you use a Mapped Drive then you'll need to change the driveID as that will change between computers (and Windows sometimes even changes this on the same PC).
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

I think I used the network path to my NAS this last time, instead of mapping a drive. Looks like that was a good choice!

I'm moving MM from a laptop I was using as a media server back to my main PC, since my new(ish) receiver lets me render to from any system directly over DLNA. It's a little glitchy and can't handle FLAC decoding for some reason (either the processor in this receiver was taken from a discarded Commodore 64 or its RAM was), but I'm planning to run an Ethernet cable to it and just stream uncompressed WAV.

Yea gigabit Ethernet!
sunspot

Post by sunspot »

It seems to have worked OK so far. Fired up MM back on the main PC, and it's working perfectly. Has no trouble finding any tracks on the NAS in the library.
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

I am still working on this. My issue is copying mm playlists to my new pc. So I can’t find the mediamonkeycache or mediamonkey.ini files. I did find a mediamonkey.init files and I am seeing hidden files so where am I going wrong? I am using the search function in file explorer.

I should mention that mm finds my db and all looks good but the playlists........?

Next step is I deleted mm and mm db and created the same path on the new pc that I used on the old pc.

C:users/myname/desktop/iTunes Music/........... We’ll see how this goes when I import my exported mm playlists from my old pc.
Lenovo Laptop:
12th Gen i5 Intel processor
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

* Primary Apps: MediaMonkey 5 (not GOLD yet).
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Playlists are contained within MM.DB there is no external playlist in MM. Can you please elaborate what you meant with
Shakadula5153 wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 am I should mention that mm finds my db and all looks good but the playlists........?
?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, Playlists are in the database, thus if the correct database was copied from the old to new PC the Playlists on your old MediaMonkey install will be there. If the Playlists are missing you probably used the wrong database file.

On old PC search for mm.db (including hidden files) and sort on Date Modified. Both Size and Date Modified should help you determine the correct database file.

Full instructions as linked above: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... w_computer
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

I was trying to export/import mm playlists from my old pc to my new pc with no success. I was never able to find the mm.ini or cache. I did find the mm.db and moved that over but no help there.

I did end up moving my old (about 2 years old) exported xml playlists from iTunes which got me about 70% of my playlists back by using the iplaylist importer and then update location scripts. They work flawlessly. I will recreate the rest.

I love media monkey once it is working. But I have to say that it is really cumbersome to migrate a music library and playlist to another computer. I’m sure most of my issues were user related because I could not export my old mm playlists to my new computer. Following the instructions kept sending me to other links. Frustrating! Anyway I am just about finished getting mm back to where it was on my new computer. For anyone that cares, mm seems to work with Parallels on my Mac All In One computer.

Now to deal with Plex. This should be fun. NOT!

Thanks for all of the help on this thread.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software

Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Instructions on moving are here: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... ontent/4.0

You just need move the database (may be a hidden file) and your media files to the new PC. The other files are not needed.

Once the database is on the new PC you do need to update the driveID which this tool can do: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... sing_Files (MediaMonkey 5 provides a build in method).
Shakadula5153

Post by Shakadula5153 »

Thank you lowlander. I think I am where I want to be with MM. I did look for hidden files but no luck there. Maybe I thought I unlocked hidden files but in fact did not. As I said, I’m sure my issues were user error.
Lenovo Laptop:
64 bit OS
Windows 11
256 Gig SSD, 8 Gig RAM,

Software