help with writing CD

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

markeh

help with writing CD

Post by markeh »

I need suggestions as to the best way to create a CD for car use. The car player only speaks mp3.

I have a large number of tracks, mixed between mp3 and flac. I want to select random tracks and write them to a CD, with MM converting the flac files as they are written.

The random selection part I get. The problem is how many files to pick, since I don't know how large the resulting, converted files will be, other than the mp3 will be unchanged, and the flac files will be smaller. I would like to fill the CD, so 650mb or so.

Is there a way to get MM to pick enough files? What is the best way to do this.

thnx,

Peke

Re: help with writing CD

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you give us model of Car Stereo so that I can check its capabilities and the best approach.

As example these I use regularly:
Pioneer DEH4200 Supports 99 Folders/255 Tracks per folder (USB16GB) Sort Alphabetically
LG LAC7900 That Supports 99 folders/999 Tracks per folder (USB32GB) Sort in Order Of copy (eg. based on FAT Table)

So I write them sorted in folders based on Playlists where Playlist name is Folder name for both CD and USB.

The best is that you buy some CD-RW and/or CD+RW if supported by Stereo and do a burn and trial several times till you find best Burning Mask for you.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
markeh

Post by markeh »

The car audio works fine - if I remember it's an Alpine (my daughter has the car now 1,500 mile away at college)

I finally figured it out - the burn wizard tells you how large the cd will be after files are converted, so I can adjust what to include.

There is no file structure, or rather a flat structure. Put the disc in, and play from beginning to end. The only safe way when you're driving.

But thanks for your help.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately Model is important as it can differ from a model to model, Do you still have manual of around?

Re Playback: I prefer it saved in the order I like so that if there is track I do not want to listen for this drive I do not take eyes of the road to change track but rather either have it preset for the whole drive or have preset folders (Playlists) according to my mood/passengers(Kids in my case) on a tick of an button from Steering Wheel controls than looking at the Stereo while seeking thru tens if not hundred of tracks. In your case as your drive only accept MP3s I'm estimating Compression variable v2 and 3Min track is around 5MB which give us around 400-430Minutes per CD at 192KBps which aprox means 100-150Tracks Which if cut in playlists means 7-10 regular CDs when cut into folders makes the time from taking eyes from the road to change track cut by factor of 5+. (I'm estimating this from a head and I can be wrong)

You should take estimate with reserve as estimate is still estimate eg. 192 around 7 hours, 320 around 5hours, 160 around 8.5hours, 128 10hours, 112 around 13hours which means not to watch number of tracks but rather Total time of selected tracks.
Best regards,
Peke
markeh

Post by markeh »

I know the Alpine plays mp3 CDs because I used to do this. She found one of my old discs and it worked, which is why she asked for more.

As to directories - She's stuck just listening to what I programmed. She can skip a track, but not fool with anything else while the car is moving.

Dad thinks that's the safest way, so that's what she gets.

thanks for your help.

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
It is always user preference.

Can you please report back the results, you made me curious how all went. I switched to USB and BlueTooth (Hands free to phone with MMA) few years ago.
Best regards,
Peke