Access Violation Errors

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

JimPa

Access Violation Errors

Post by JimPa »

All seemed to be working well but over the last day or so I've been getting quite a few Access Violation errors, usually when exiting MM or when adding new music.

After some research it looks like these can often caused by scripts so I uninstalled the only script I had ('Find Currently Playing Track') which although uninstalled still shows up in the Scripts dropdown within MM. Oh, I also had TweakMonkey installed.

Also, the whole program has completely reset itself a couple of times (reverting to default Theme and all settings, as though I was running from scratch). So I was going to completely uninstall and re-install (as Administrator just to be sure). I've found quite a few posts about these errors but some date back years. Are there any more recent specific tips to try and fix these kind of problems before I start all over again?

I'm on Win 7 64 bit if that makes a difference.
Lowlander

Re: Access Violation Errors

Post by Lowlander »

See: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... eset--lost

You may want to check scripts.ini and manually remove the script references (in any text editor) for the uninstalled scripts.

Clean install instructions: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ediamonkey (I'd keep the database though as it has all track info, Playlists and Play History).
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Thank you.

I did check my scripts.ini file but there's no reference in there to 'Find Currently Playing Track' so I'm not sure why it's still being referenced after uninstalling.

I'm wondering if it maybe could be related to Tweakmonkey because within Tools>Options>TweakMonkey & Script Options>Tree Node Options all of the nodes are set to 'Visible' but if I right-click on my main library node and go to Options>Edit Collection then the tree nodes are all unticked. If I tick some of them within that setting I often get VBScript errors on relaunching so maybe TweakMonkey is causing some kind of conflict.

Is Tweakmonkey known to be unstable? I don't see a way to uninstall it.
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Oh, OK - TweakMonkey is uninstalled via standard Windows add/remove. It actually seems better already after taking this off so maybe this was the cause.

It was just handy to allow a specific node to be expanded on opening MM but I can live without that...

Will carry on experimenting.
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

Bit more experimenting shows that the scripts were installed in my Win 7 Roaming profile (still don't really know what this is). Anyway, I removed the scripts from there and they finally disappeared from the Scripts dropdown. But I'm still getting Access Violation errors, but it only seems to be when I add new music to my library.

Just playing and using MM generally seems OK. The minute I add any new music I get Access Violation errors.

I'm down to all scripts removed and using the basic theme. Guess I'll have to try a fresh uninstall/reinstall next but had enough for today.
JimPa

Post by JimPa »

I uninstalled and reinstalled but still getting access violation errors whenever I add new music to the library:

Access violation at address 75309B60 in module 'msvcrt.dll'. Read of address 051E2000.

This error only seems to occur when adding new music but also (I think) it only happens when dragging mp3s directly from my desktop onto my library node.

If I first drag the tracks from the desktop onto the 'Now Playing' window and then drag the tracks from 'Now Playing' onto my library node it doesn't throw up the error. I guess it doesn't really matter if I do it that way instead but maybe there's a reason why?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Capture this in a debug log (step 4b) and attach the log to a Support Ticket: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69
paddymcq

Post by paddymcq »

DbgView doesn't work under Windows 10.
Peke

Post by Peke »

HI,
It works I have Win10 x64, You can start it as Administrator.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, DBGView works fine with Windows 10. You may, as Peke mentioned, have to start it as Administrator (right click on exe, Run as Administrator).