Use one library/database for two installs?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

gordol

Use one library/database for two installs?

Post by gordol »

I have MediaMonkey Gold 4.1.20 installed on two Win10 computers. The media library and database is on one computer, and I want to access it from my other over my network.
I would rather access it directly, rather than as a streaming client because it takes too long to load the playlists that way. Plus, I getting the streaming client side to even find the server side is often a pain in the butt.

The two computers are, of course, in different rooms. The master side is in my upstairs office, and the media library is installed on a secondary internal hard drive. The client side is a laptop I connect to my TV.

I have tried using a USB drive for the media library on the laptop and plugging it into the desktop upstairs as a syncable device, but when I do that it won't unmount / eject unless I shut down the computer (Windows thinks it's still being used even after completely shutting down MMW)

All media combined, my MMW library is about 1.1TB. My main Music playlist has over 6700 tracks at a time (out of over 17000).

Is this possible? Since the library is stored on a separate disk from the database, I can map it to the same drive letter on the second computer if needed.
Lowlander

Re: Use one library/database for two installs?

Post by Lowlander »

http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... nvironment

Using the same drive doesn't work as MediaMonkey uses the driveID not drive letter. However you can do a Portable Install on the drive of MediaMonkey. This way that is not an issue and you take your MediaMonkey install with you as well, anywhere you go.
gordol

Post by gordol »

Thank you. I'll play with that this week.
I've never tried to use \\drive paths in Windows before...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Using a UNC Path avoids the driveID problem. Note that a large Library over network may be slow to use as lots of data needs to be transferred.