Am I adding files wrong? Is there an easier way?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Mikey1969

Am I adding files wrong? Is there an easier way?

Post by Mikey1969 »

So I am not really seeing an easy way to import files. Or maybe I'm missing this.

What I'm looking for is an easy way to say "add files", then tell MM where to look and then have MM copy the files in question to my library. Currently, I create a new folder in my library(if it is a new Album Artist), drop the files in there, and then "Add/Rescan" to update the MM database. What I'd like to do is say "Add/Import Files", point to where my new music resides, and then let MM copy the files over automatically, with a popup if it's an artist that isn't already in my library, or a 'Various Artists' type of album. Am I doing this wrong? I seem to be doing this the super long way, and I'm sure I'm missing something.
Lowlander

Re: Am I adding files wrong? Is there an easier way?

Post by Lowlander »

What do you need the popup for (there is none)?

It sounds like you're looking for Auto-Organize which can move files into a folder structure based on tags on import: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... enames/4.0
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

Thanks, I'll check that out. And the popup would be if it was a new artist, or to verify the artist name, something like that, that's all...

But the Auto-Organize may be the thing I need, anyway. THanks for the tip!
JohnMBrooks

Post by JohnMBrooks »

Yeah, I think I understand your issue but I don't think there's an easier way for importing/organizing songs. It gets even more complicated if for whatever reason the songs you are importing are not yet properly tagged (you might be adding them to MediaMonkey precisely to do that), so there won't ever be a way to reliably auto-organize on import anyway. (Note: There is an auto-organize feature that triggers consistently, but I'd be skeptical of it saving more trouble than it causes).

Personally, I can tell you my solution, should it work for you. Say I have a folder with a new album I want to add to my library. Say it's in my 'Downloads' folder for my browser. I'll open up that folder and select all the songs and play them. That will put them in the 'Now Playing' branch of MediaMonkey even if they aren't inside the MediaMonkey Library. There I'll tag all the tracks to my preferences and standards. MediaMonkey should update the files even though they're outside your library.

Next, I'll move the songs to where my library is located. There are two folders there: 'Albums' and 'Fresh'. 'Albums' is all my organized music. 'Fresh' is my new music (an inbox of sorts). The 'Fresh' folder is set to 'Scan Continously', so as soon as I drop the new tracks there MediaMonkey will add them to the library (even if they aren't organized in my library).

Occassionally, when I have enough new tracks to justify the effort, in MediaMonkey explorer I select the 'Fresh' folder, select all the (new) tracks, hit 'Auto-Organize' and have all the tracks move to where they should belong. Once in a while I'll check the 'Fresh' folder in Windows to clean up any empty folders or left-over files which aren't audio tracks. And you're done.

That's what I've found to work best and easiest to me, and to be honest I can't really imagine a more versatile/reliable way given how sometimes you'll want to import loose tracks, albums, albums with discrete artwork or other text files, etc. If there is indeed a better way, I'd sure want to know it, but for now I'm satisfied.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Many use some form of incoming folder for new files. It can be part of the Library (even with Folder Monitoring). From there you edit, maybe listen and rate and then move (you can use Tools > Auto-Organize Files) to the main Library folder. Collections (Gold feature) allow you to filter on Location to include or exclude such folder as desired.

I myself use a Rip folder in my Library, then edit and rate files, before organizing them into the main Library. Collections and AutoPlaylists use Ratings so these new files are excluded till their Rated.
Mikey1969

Post by Mikey1969 »

Thanks guys, this helps. Currently, I'll create a folder for the Artist(if there isn't one already), then a folder for the album, then copy over the files, then Rescan the Library, then fix the tags and stuff... Kind of long and clunky, these processes sound better.
JohnMBrooks

Post by JohnMBrooks »

Mikey1969 wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:45 pm Thanks guys, this helps. Currently, I'll create a folder for the Artist(if there isn't one already), then a folder for the album, then copy over the files, then Rescan the Library, then fix the tags and stuff... Kind of long and clunky, these processes sound better.
Auto-Organize is a default feature for MediaMonkey (Gold or not), right? I'm not sure. In any case yeah, that process seems awful. It's definitely worth it to take a sec to set up the 'Add/rescan' and 'auto-organize' setting pages to automate all of that. There isn't really all that much to it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Organize is a Gold feature, Auto-Organize Files is free.
JohnMBrooks

Post by JohnMBrooks »

Lowlander wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:57 pm Auto-Organize is a Gold feature, Auto-Organize Files is free.
What would the difference between both be? From the name alone it's hard to tell, and I've had Gold since forever so I don't really remember.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Auto-Organize runs automatically in the background and Auto-Organize Files is run manually on selected files: https://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index. ... enames/4.0