Songs from album in own folder, will moving them mean adding them back in to MM?

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

Springsteenfan

Songs from album in own folder, will moving them mean adding them back in to MM?

Post by Springsteenfan »

I have a lot of music on my pc all carry overs from versions of iTunes. However, iTunes has broken up a lot of the "mix" albums I made. So rather than a folder containing an album and all the songs, now the folder is now empty and the songs have been split into folders containing one from an artist. If I go back and put all of the songs into the folders they were, will I need to remove them first from MM and then add them back in, or will they be able to play from their new folder?
AlanH

Re: Songs from album in own folder, will moving them mean adding them back in to MM?

Post by AlanH »

The easiest way would be to use auto organise to move the songs into folders by album, that’s assuming your tags are correct, or just make sure you have folder monitoring enabled and MM running if your moving them manually, that way MM will know where you’ve moved them to. I prefer to use Option B personally.
OtakuScientist

Re: Songs from album in own folder, will moving them mean adding them back in to MM?

Post by OtakuScientist »

Springsteenfan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:30 pm I have a lot of music on my pc all carry overs from versions of iTunes. However, iTunes has broken up a lot of the "mix" albums I made. So rather than a folder containing an album and all the songs, now the folder is now empty and the songs have been split into folders containing one from an artist. If I go back and put all of the songs into the folders they were, will I need to remove them first from MM and then add them back in, or will they be able to play from their new folder?
I recently went through this exact scenario. I went down the road of making sure tags are spot on, and using the following rule;

Code: Select all

G:\Music\mediamonkey\$if(<Album Artist>=Various Artists,\Various Artists\<Album>,\<Artist>\<Album>)\$if(<Disc#>,Disk <Disc#:2>)\<Track#:2>.<Artist>-<Title>
You can access this via CTRL-R or add it to Options > Library > Auto-Organise. Note my rule for compilations, and disc #, the rest is simple.
Springsteenfan

Post by Springsteenfan »

Cheers guys, I appreciate the fast response. At the present I'm a cheapskate and have the freebie version of MM. But unless I want an absolute pain in the neck job I'll need to upgrade, as that seems the better path (pardon the pun) for ease. So far I have to say this - MM - hammers iTunes into the ground.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Use Folder Monitoring (Gold) if you're moving/renaming files outside of MediaMonkey, however besides using Tools > Auto-Organize Files you can also use Cut & Paste in the Location or My Computer node if you wish to use that method. As long as you're changing files within MediaMonkey it will keep the Library up-to-date.