Yet another question about replay gain...

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

paulrhyan

Yet another question about replay gain...

Post by paulrhyan »

For years I've been using other tools to manage my collection. While I've known about MMW/MMA for some time; I've only recently started using MMW exclusively to manage my MP3 collection. For decades I've been 'normalizing' my MP3s with MP3Gain. To this day I still use it exclusively for setting volume.

Q1: I noticed in MMW most of my music does not have any values in the 'Track Volume' nor 'Album Volume' columns even though I know that the tracks have been analysed and gain has been applied by MP3Gain. Why?

Q2: I noticed in MMW some of my music has values in one or both of the 'Track Volume'/'Album Volume' columns yet the values in these columns are not the same values that MP3Gain reports. Why?
i.e.: in MMW, Black Label Society - Order Of The Black, all tracks have 'Track Volume' of around -10.5 dB and 'Album Volume' are all -11.3 dB. Now when I check MP3 gain, it shows Volume around 90.0 (90.0 dB is what I have the target volume set for) and Track Gain is shown as 0.0. There is nothing in Album Volume nor Album Gain columns as I rarely scan/modify the Album Volume.
Q2.1: Does MMW save gain edits to different types of tags than MP3Gain (V1 vs. V2 maybe...)?

Q3: Which volume data will be used by my music app. Right now I have my entire collection on my phone and I was using Poweramp but I've recently downloaded and paid for MMA(Pro).

Q4: I am thinking of using MMW to modify/change gain values of future music purchases. From what I've read, MMW uses the default of 89.0 (which I know is the industry standard). Can I change that value to 90.0?

Thanks in advance.
paulrhyan

Re: Yet another question about replay gain...

Post by paulrhyan »

UPDATE:

I figured out Q2 and Q4. Still not sure about Q1, Q2.1 or Q3.

Thanks.
Peke

Re: Yet another question about replay gain...

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Q1A: Can you please send me DL link for one sample file that have Gain In MP3Gain and not in MMW

Q2.1A: MMW uses Gain Indes standard depending on Track Format (FLAC, MP3,...).

Q3A: MMA uses Track Gain Volume Index and even if Index is not read on File scan it should be sent by MMW during Sync.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts